an A-Maze-N Review

An A-Maze-N- Smoker Review

Packaging:

Very well packaged with the sawdust packages and butane lighter arranged over the smoker, offering added protection during shipping. SD packages were in sturdy, clear, re-sealable packages that are well labeled. Good printed instructions were included. Instructions are easy to understand, not like a high tech user's manual.

Design:

Very compact, making it easy to place within most smoker types/cabinets. On the bottom it has two rail-like legs, which will keep the smoker above it's platform, allowing for better distribution of air circulation. Row are evenly spaced, for more uniform burns. Lighting holes are well placed, and easy to access.

Workmanship:

Very good construction, there are no sharp burrs or edges, the corners have clean edges. The smoker is of good weight, and is made of a good gauge of stainless steel. This is not a flimsy light unit that will easily be damaged in a short time, or rust out. Good life expectancy.

Control: Smoker was placed at the bottom of my GOSM big block and no water pan was used. The top vent was wide open; both bottom vents were wide open. The smoker door remained closed. Burning was done with two side by side rows, using Mesquite sawdust in both rows. When I started the smoke, ambient temperature was 62°, humidity was 83% , and the wind was calm.

I prepared the cold smoker by putting it in the oven at 350° for 1 hour, in order to burn off any oily film from any manufacturing processing. I then ran it through the dishwasher for a final cleansing prior to use.

I placed a cookie sheet over the GOSM burner area, in the event that some burn residue might get on/near the burner. I then placed the A-Maze-N-Smoker on top of the cookie sheet.

The food I smoked was some fire roasted and peeled green NM chile pods, thick onion slices, fresh peeled garlic cloves, and fresh tomatillo quarters. I covered the rack with parchment paper so that nothing could fall through, and the food wouldn't pickup any possible flavors from a previous smoke. Why I choose these items? I'm going to use them in a Chile Verde dish, but that's another thread.

I lit the smoker and let in perform. One hour into the smoke, the ambient temp was 64°, humidity 78%, wind was calm, and only ¼ of a row had burned. The burn seemed to be going slow, but the humidity may be having an effect on the burn. So I decided to light the other row, and it started to smoke at what seemed to me like a better rate. At the two hour mark, ambient temp was 70°, humidity 65%, wind was calm. The two row burn completed in four hours.

Product Summary:

A product that is affordable, durable, practical, and useful for adding a smoke flavor to most foods without reaching a hot point when used as a cold smoker. I liked the fact that I was a steady burn throughout, with just the right amount of steady uninterrupted smoke. The different varieties of wood sawdust available is a plus. Like most smokes, the ambient weather conditions can effect the burn, Based on a rating of 1-10, I give it a 10.

Taste summary:

The chile pods had a very nice smoke flavor, the same for the garlic, and the surprise was the great taste of the tomatillo. I had never smoked fresh tomatillo, but now it'll be the way to go. The only other way I'd use tomatillo would be to smoke them, and them roast them in the oven. The foods did not lose any bite/heat from the smoke, as the chile and garlic still had the regular punch. The two row smoke suggested by Todd was spot on.

For the review with pics go to http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/99406/an-a-maze-n-review#post_550175

www.amazenproducts.com
Todd Johnson is the owner.

Wow great review. Do you pack the saw dust or just lightly add it to the columns? I got my smoker from a Benny in Whittier and he included a home made one, but I haven't used it yet. Also do you soak the saw dust or moisten it in any way or just leave it dry? Seems like a much easier way to add smoke over my large iron smoke container.

Wow great review. Do you pack the saw dust or just lightly add it to the columns? I got my smoker from a Benny in Whittier and he included a home made one, but I haven't used it yet. Also do you soak the saw dust or moisten it in any way or just leave it dry? Seems like a much easier way to add smoke over my large iron smoke container.

I do lightly pack the saw dust down into the columns Do not soak the dust.as it won't burn. If you're having a problem keeping it lit, it might be because of the humidity. In that case, nuke the dust for about 1 minute.I use a small mini torch to light it, be sure it looks cherry red like a cigar. It will give you hours of uninterrupted smoke when used as a cold smoker. It can be used along with your hot smoker, but that's another post.. Good luck.

Sounds like a plan. I think the "dust" I was using was too thick and not fine enough to burn like a cigar would. I'm gonna get a few lbs of the amazin dust and give it a try with the pan I already own.

Back