• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

An early start to the Aussie grow season

The pepper forest was evicted from the grow tent, and made way for the new seedlings of 2008/2009 grow season.

I originally planted seeds direct into jiffy pellets, and had horrible results. Next was germinate in paper towel in a baggie, then move into jiffy pellets, results improved a little. Now I'm still using the baggie method, but then putting direct into a mix of 1:2:3 perlite:canna coco:potting mix and had much better results, so this will be the future method going forward.

Here's a few pics:

2773916838_7b38d2b485.jpg

2773917420_f1bce5b43b.jpg
2773070633_468d8a4abb.jpg
2773918448_af5fea4a32.jpg

The last two are a Californian Wonder and Thai Red, for some reason they've exploded a lot quicker than any of the others.

Have much more seedlings than I'll end up growing with, but will share the chilli love with friends and workmates. Call it Chilli religion, and I am the Chilli disciple.

Looks great! Ah, those times will be here again in about 4 months already!

I always had good results with the paper towel to Jiffy method, much better than with soil.

Which one of the two plants on the last pic is supposed to be the California Wonder because none of mine look like them!?

talas said:
coco:potting mix keep hearing how good this is..going to have to try :)

Be aware, its not for those on a budget. $28 a 30L bag at the hydro store that I've been going to.

One thing I've noticed since using this mix of mediums is that the seed casings were getting stuck when popping up, but every single one of them fell off after a few days with no assistance whatsoever.

Much happier with the results overall. When you first water the mixed medium, you tend to see that the potting mix is the heaviest and slightly moves below the surface, leaving the perlite and coco at the top. Very easy to tell when the medium is starting to dry out, but doesnt go all crusty like potting mix alone does

MiLK_MaN said:
Be aware, its not for those on a budget. $28 a 30L bag at the hydro store that I've been going to.

One thing I've noticed since using this mix of mediums is that the seed casings were getting stuck when popping up, but every single one of them fell off after a few days with no assistance whatsoever.

Much happier with the results overall. When you first water the mixed medium, you tend to see that the potting mix is the heaviest and slightly moves below the surface, leaving the perlite and coco at the top. Very easy to tell when the medium is starting to dry out, but doesnt go all crusty like potting mix alone does

Thank you MiLK_MaN gonna invest in a bag and see how it goes :)

Looking good MM...

I have had very good results germinating with Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix...

Not recommending it if your method works good for you...just saying what works for me...

MiLK_MaN said:
I dont think we can get 3/4's of the stuff here that you guys have over there.

totally understand MM...

AlabamaJack said:
Looking good MM...

I have had very good results germinating with Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix...

Not recommending it if your method works good for you...just saying what works for me...

Are thx A.J found a supplier in the U.K and will buy a bag nice to try new germinating solutions for next season :)

talas said:
Are thx A.J found a supplier in the U.K and will buy a bag nice to try new germinating solutions for next season :)

This stuff is very very light...but it has good water retention characteristics...I have found that if you plant the seeds about 1.5 cm there are not as many seeds come up with their hats on...the first seeds I planted in the hoffmans wer planted about 1 cm and had several hats on...then I was thinking...I was not planting them deep enough for the "soil" to have a chance of pulling the hats off...JMO

Back