• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

An interesting surprise at the local garden shop

I was buying some soil, insecticides and ferts for my plants when i saw this plant.
I dunno what it is, as it doesnt seem like anything i've ever seen before.

Its definitely a pepper plant thats for sure. A chinense too, judging by the multi pods per node (some fallen off)
And i am amaze on how much yield the gardener got from such a small pot. i must be doing something wrong with my plants.

FrrL6oQ6.jpeg

The plant

BnOsd4EO.jpeg

ripe fruits, multi pods per node.

mcVc9adX.jpeg

unripe fruits.

YnlCGCen.jpeg

Small pot. I need to take a look what the gardener put into the soil.

Anyone care to let me know what's the name of this pepper?

Thanks.

su-weet score for you! That's so fun!

u7PpxarL.jpeg

pics for comparison. i think it's a bit too big to be a bol rainbow. But i've never seen a Bol rainbow before up close.

Verne, but it has multiple pods per node.

im going to taste it for lunch. Hope i dont die :P

I believe it to be chinense looks exactly like my chupetina potawie i'm sure will agree these produe very well and abundant u get that potted up u will see many more pods. just my two ents

I have heard about this before, the pods looked like a Caribbean red but it was more of an ornamental in that it had errect pods and changed to many colors. In the old days (1800s seed catalogs) they used to call this variety the "Child's Kaleidoscope".

u7PpxarL.jpeg

pics for comparison. i think it's a bit too big to be a bol rainbow. But i've never seen a Bol rainbow before up close.

Verne, but it has multiple pods per node.

im going to taste it for lunch. Hope i dont die :P

Hope you're correct; that's not a pepper I'm familiar with. Good luck.

Hope you're correct; that's not a pepper I'm familiar with. Good luck.
I hope im correct too, coz i just took a bite.

nice find! don't forget to save some seeds :D
yeah, i saved some. do you want some?

i just took a bite.

it's definitely hotter, if not hotter than a bird's eye.
Very fruity flavour, but the heat is hot, hits you instantly.
i was misled by thechileman's status saying its mild,but its quite hot, similar to a bird's eye burn.
i5X30iN.jpeg

cross section
oqAmNyk8.jpeg

Sarga Cseresznye looks sort of the same but they are mild and annuums.
I think we're looking at a chinense here but not 100% sure. I'm not seeing multiple(more than 2) flowers per node but that's not always a major factor.

Sarga Cseresznye looks sort of the same but they are mild and annuums.
I think we're looking at a chinense here but not 100% sure

Leaves look Chinense and there appear to be spots where dropped flowers used to be in the pic of the twin sets, that would be three per node at least. That and he said they have a fruity aroma. If I had to guess it's probably a C. Chinense x C. Frutescens.

well, this is one of the reasons i am hesitant to buy from local gardens. They have no idea about cross pollination or even what the original pepper name was.

It seems like a cross then.

Thanks all! I'm just happy to have a high yield pepper plant in my garden.

well, this is one of the reasons i am hesitant to buy from local gardens. They have no idea about cross pollination or even what the original pepper name was.

It seems like a cross then.

Thanks all! I'm just happy to have a high yield pepper plant in my garden.

It's the same here; the chili farm I visited had many varieties in very close proximity. I don't think they're ignorant about cross pollination; they don't care because they're not growing for seed. Cheers.

Back