• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests an odd question about F@#%$! APHIDS

Hey Everyone, long tome to talk.... Well, I have been eagerly been waiting to update my grow log, but was seriously infested with aphids. I tried everything I could to get rid of them. I even moved half of my garden to a friends place who is growing peppers also, and he didnt have an aphid problem. I killed all of the ahpids but they came back here at my place and not his. So, I guess that is a positive.
Back to my question, in all of my battles this year. All of my choco hab plants were hit the worst. There would literally be hundreds of aphids on the hab, but not one on the jolokia right next to it. It actually got to the point that I would have to check my choco habs first for aphids to try to fend them off.
Do aphids actually prefer one plant over another according to type? Anyone else notice this? Is there anything POSSIBLE to prevent aphids rather than just kill them? I had marigolds and they did nothing. Thanks all!

Im not sure about them liking different plants better however they do like young shoots.

I use neem oil to rid myself of these pests although they do come back for more oil, they must love the sh!t.
I am thinking that you have these little buggers in your soil as larvea, waiting to be transported by ANTS to you plants.
After applying neem oil use some ant powder to kill those fu@#ers ands then spread some http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth on top of the soil. This stuff causes aphids to melt just like the wicked witch of the west and as far as i know is harmless to humans.

I used Sevin. It is a pesticide and it took care of both the aphids and the mites. The problem is that you can't eat any of the peppers for at least 1 week. The other option is to get you some ladybugs or ladybug larvae. They are absolutely fantastic at taking care of those little bastards. And yes, I've noticed that they seem to like some plants more than others. I don't have any scientific backing for this, it's just that they seem to love the plants I want the most :(.

Aphids seem to like the moisture as much as new shoots.

If my plants stay in shade too long, they are way more likely to get aphids - specially if I mist the leaves. Now I keep plants in full sun as much as possible, and never mist anymore, as much as the plants may like it. That has virtually eliminated my aphid problem.

I agree with Blister on the ladybugs. They did wonders for me. I haven't seen any aphids since.

I bought a big bag of lady bugs last year, but it was so hot they all flew away within a few days. I bought a mantis cocoon this year, but even tho I kept it in the shade, the thing baked itself solid and so the eggs never hached.

Bad bugs love it here; it's the good bugs I can't keep around :shocked:

You need a complete arsenal for aphids, although I'd definitely avoid harmful pesticides like sevin. I use a rotation of: soaps(fatty acids), oils(neem or other horticultural oils), pyrethrum(not really available here anymore), and I use sweetened diatomaceous earth on my soil. Natural predators are always a good option as well, although I needed over 10000 ladybugs a few years ago

It's too bad we can't buy ladybug larvae. They can't fly away and tend to hang around the plants you put them on regardless of when you put them out. Plus they look so much more badass than a cute little ladybug.

I don't think the mantis would do all that great here in the north. That and doubt I could even get one here anyways.

You can buy ladybug larvae, but I found the adults to be a much better deal financially and I only use them indoors and greenhouse

All my aphids were annihilated by parasitic wasps, everywhere I look theres aphid mummies, not a single living aphid.

It would be nice if you could buy the little parasitic wasps, they sure do the trick!

I would go with ladybugs. I had a small problem and soaps and neem may kill them for a day or 2, but they will always come back. If you have more than 10 plants it's not a good method of prevention.

If you prepare you ladybugs and ensure they have food they will stay for weeks if not months and even then their offspring will ensure your good for a few more months.

1) Place them in the refrigerator for a few hours before releasing them. This puts them into hibernation mode and they are not as likely to fly away so quick.
2) Release them after sunset directly onto your plants after already spraying the plants with a 10-1 sugar water spray. This will help attract them to the plant where they will surely bunk for the night.
3) Pick up some wheast and apply a small amount directly to the stalks of your plants that have the most infections. This will keep them around long enough to mate.

Here is a quick and easy "Wheast" receipe.

1 part sugar
1 part yeast

This will make a thick paste that you can spread directly onto the plant stalks. If too thick just add water slowly until you get the consistancy you like.

The only extra bugs I found where a few green lacewings that laid some eggs on my plants. However that's a GOOD thing.

Back