An open letter to restaurant owners.

Dear Sir or Madame,
As a long time employee in the service industry I feel that it is my responsibility to remind a few and enlighten some as to a few fundamental truths and practices regarding your dedicated cooks.

DO NOT LIE TO YOUR COOKS ABOUT ANYTHING!
I hate to break it to you but any cook that knows his ass from his elbow can see through your lie in a heartbeat. We know just as much about the daily workings of your joint as you do and more times than you think, we really do know more about what's really cooking in your shop than you do.

THEY ARE NOT SLAVES SO PAY THEM!
And I mean it! Most of us will do a 60 hour week standing on one foot and smile about it knowing that the overtime is going to be sweet, so don't try and short us on it. We can tell you down to the minute how much time we worked and we want to be paid fairly for it. In a nutshell, we don't screw with your money so don't screw with ours.

RAISES
Give them if you can, and if you can be more than generous do so by all means. You will reap great rewards for it. If you rely on a core individual to take care of recipes that you need done consistently, you will do yourself an enormous favor by financially taking care of this person.
Also, when you do have those meetings regarding raises, don't show us your latest Compensation Statement as a way of making us feel sorry for your payouts. You started the business, you knew the costs would grow and you need to deal with that. If you simply can't afford to give what someone is asking for at the time, be honest and tell them that and then give them at least something with the assurance that as things grow, so will their pay.

Please take these few statements as you will, but if you follow these few simple guidelines you WILL have a happy kitchen staff, you WILL have great product served to your customers and you WILL NOT have to train a new cook every six months. As well, you will by no means have a disgruntled employee venting their frustration on a message board.

Thank you for your time and good day.

Bryan said:
DO NOT LIE TO YOUR COOKS ABOUT ANYTHING!

THEY ARE NOT SLAVES SO PAY THEM!

RAISES
If you rely on a core individual to take care of recipes that you need done consistently, you will do yourself an enormous favor by financially taking care of this person.

Thank you for your time and good day.

Amen brother!

As someone who has been on both sides of the fence ( manager/grunt) I would add that it's just as important to hold underperforming workers responsible and eliminate the "dead wood" if they do not respond to your coaching/training/warnings/documentation. Having a crew with only a few oars in the water will drag down the morale of you good workers. Make sure all the oars are working and your crew will kick ass!

good on you Bryan - stand up for your rights! don't let penny-pinching a-holes like this get the better of you, there are better places to work. don't 'that' sort of employer realise that their restaurant/busines is only as good as the staff make it???

Mark

OK...now i have to put my 2 cents in here.....
I own a restaurant and i am plenty nice to my employees and take care of them....
BUT...after a while they all starting taking advantage of this niceness of mine and not doing their job, starting doing whathever they feel and slacking....
NOW...if you where in my position what you would do..???

chuk hell said:
:shocked:

see my post above!

and how!

And Marco, I feel your pain on the slacking. I deal with it daily but as I am in no position of authority I can't do much (besides bitch and that got old about 15 years ago!) All I can suggest is calling folks out on their slacking and hold those responsible accountable for their actions, or severe lack of them!

Good luck with your shop mang!

Back