• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

issue Ancho negro issues

Anyone here any experience growing ancho negro?
I'm growing them for the first time and they are doing great, but i have a lot of issues when it comes to ripening.
Plants produce nice shiny green pods, but when the colors start to appear everything seem to go wrong.
Either they fall of the plant just before color appearing or once they start to blush up nicely they get some severe BER.
The few that manage to ripen further on the plant start driyng out before they have a complete tan.
Some pics:

Green pods that dropped. I find about 3 or 4 every day
20220814_220218.jpg

Pods that managed to become fully colored are almost dry before picking. Not very bad, since i will have them all dried eventually.
20220814_220136.jpg

Sadly most will never get there because they fall victim to BER
20220814_220816.jpg

I started to harvest them when they develop a bit of a blush and try to let them ripen indoors close to the bananas. I'm afraid this will hinder the development of the sought after flavour, wich is why i grow these.
20220814_220446.jpg

They are grown on open ground in a well maintained clay soil. PH is fine and so must be the nutrients in the soil. They are the only peppers to have this issue. I make sure they get regular waterings, not too much and never let them experience any drought.
Any thoughts on this? I'm afraid that my plan for making my first big batch of mole negro this winter will go down the drain if it continues like this. 😳

Last edited:
Hey Sulsa, from what you have shown I am not convinced that BER is the issue here. The wrinkled pods, dried stems and even the lesions on the fruit might suggest that there is something in the plants vascular system. Some form of wilt perhaps that is preventing the flow of nutients and moisture from reaching the growth points. I would guess something fungal or bacterial.

Hey Sulsa, from what you have shown I am not convinced that BER is the issue here. The wrinkled pods, dried stems and even the lesions on the fruit might suggest that there is something in the plants vascular system. Some form of wilt perhaps that is preventing the flow of nutients and moisture from reaching the growth points. I would guess something fungal or bacterial.
That makes sense! I've been thinking about that also, mostly in the direction of some alternaria strain.
The plot has not seen much capsicums in the past but plenty of potatoes, so some alternaria in the soil sure is possible. Strangely there are no other signs of it on the plant itself, they look very healthy actually.
I also covered the soil with plastic and watering is done at ground level, so there isn't much soil/plant contact.
Hoping it will not get worse or else i will have to remove them entirely.

I started to harvest them when they develop a bit of a blush and try to let them ripen indoors close to the bananas. I'm afraid this will hinder the development of the sought after flavour, wich is why i grow these.
I can't find the source right now, but last year I read that peppers are one of the few fruits that ripen find after being picked. Maybe try that with some but keep them separate, and test for the desired flavor after drying?

How has the humidity been for you? I'm having much the same, and I think it's due to this year being so much more humid than usual. Not just peppers suffering - tomatoes, tomatillos, squash, etc.

That makes sense! I've been thinking about that also, mostly in the direction of some alternaria strain.
The plot has not seen much capsicums in the past but plenty of potatoes, so some alternaria in the soil sure is possible. Strangely there are no other signs of it on the plant itself, they look very healthy actually.
I also covered the soil with plastic and watering is done at ground level, so there isn't much soil/plant contact.
Hoping it will not get worse or else i will have to remove them entirely.
When the plant is spent, you could try take a cutting through the stem to check if there is any discolouration in the vascular tissue.

Back