• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

And the best spicy chaser is....... Pepperoncini?!!?!

Hey everyone!

I've been really into eating habanero's in the last few months (even growing my own in DWC if you check the grow tech forum).

Normally I get them from Whole Foods, they get some really yummy organic ones. Well they apparently changed suppliers due to season and the last batch were Dominican. They looked a bit different as well. Orange, but ever so slightly translucent, you can make out some 'veiny' appearance of the flesh. The last type were completely evenly colored and not translucent at all, no veins visible.

These 'new' variety taste OK, but not as good as wherever they came before. The issue with these Dominican habs, IMO, is that the spicyness is not consistent whatsoever.

I will eat half of a whole pepper, and barely feel anything at all heat wise. Then I will eat another tiny sliver of the SAME pepper and almost die from heat. And when these are hot, they burn my throat WAY more.

But anyways, the other day I was having a pretty tough time after eating only a small tip of one of these (normally easy). Must have drunk half a gallon of milk. My daughter drinks the milk to so I didn't want to waste it all :D

So I tried a pepperoncini. Don't ask why, but that was the best heat-relief I've ever gotten in terms of staying power. Instantly reduced the burning pain to a manageable one where all I have to do is swirl my tongue around and its over.

Has anybody else tried this and found it to be the case? Any idea why? Is it the pickled juices (vinegar maybe?).

Thought it was interesting. Forgive if its old hat here :)

Could have used those ideas last night when I tried my first superhots. Found out that ice cream doesn't really do anything for back of the throat heat. :mouthonfire:

Could have used those ideas last night when I tried my first superhots. Found out that ice cream doesn't really do anything for back of the throat heat. :mouthonfire:
I wouldn't say that radishes really take care of that either. It may even just be a distractor more than anything.

I think how you swollow and chew has the biggest effect on throat spicyness. sometimes I get by with barely anything, then other times my throat will be the hardest thing to fix. Of course these inconsistent dominicans make it even harder since they trick you into letting your guard down :)

Hey everyone!

I've been really into eating habanero's in the last few months (even growing my own in DWC if you check the grow tech forum).

Normally I get them from Whole Foods, they get some really yummy organic ones. Well they apparently changed suppliers due to season and the last batch were Dominican. They looked a bit different as well. Orange, but ever so slightly translucent, you can make out some 'veiny' appearance of the flesh. The last type were completely evenly colored and not translucent at all, no veins visible.

These 'new' variety taste OK, but not as good as wherever they came before. The issue with these Dominican habs, IMO, is that the spicyness is not consistent whatsoever.

I will eat half of a whole pepper, and barely feel anything at all heat wise. Then I will eat another tiny sliver of the SAME pepper and almost die from heat. And when these are hot, they burn my throat WAY more.

But anyways, the other day I was having a pretty tough time after eating only a small tip of one of these (normally easy). Must have drunk half a gallon of milk. My daughter drinks the milk to so I didn't want to waste it all :D

So I tried a pepperoncini. Don't ask why, but that was the best heat-relief I've ever gotten in terms of staying power. Instantly reduced the burning pain to a manageable one where all I have to do is swirl my tongue around and its over.

Has anybody else tried this and found it to be the case? Any idea why? Is it the pickled juices (vinegar maybe?).

Thought it was interesting. Forgive if its old hat here :)

Thier is a mild habanero. Cant think of the name, but it was bred to be heatless.

Back