• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Animal hole

I've never seen one quite like this. Our armadillos do more like a snowplow, the possums and skunks never go deep. This ~6" diameter hole is almost straight down with symmetrical sidewalls and 8" to the bottom. Like this critter pulled a plug out of the ground. It was done overnight Tuesday. It didn't come back for more last night. It's at the end of a wide aisle between rows. Any ideas?

hr8Ejav.jpg

I've never seen one quite like this. Our armadillos do more like a snowplow, the possums and skunks never go deep. This ~6" diameter hole is almost straight down with symmetrical sidewalls and 8" to the bottom. Like this critter pulled a plug out of the ground. It was done overnight Tuesday. It didn't come back for more last night. It's at the end of a wide aisle between rows. Any ideas?

hr8Ejav.jpg

Do you have any badgers near you? It looks like something I used to see.

Reactions: DWB
GIANT mudbug? :)

Maybe one of my earthworms went supernova :clap:

Do you have any badgers near you? It looks like something I used to see.

Could be but I've never seen one or even heard of one around here. I suppose armadillo is the most likely culprit but very uncharacteristic of what they usually do. They usually plow the place. I'll put a camera out there and see what goes on.

Now I'm thinking it was a skunk. I put the camera out Friday and coincidentally started smelling skunk that night. I've been catching strong whiffs ever since. I assumed one got roadkilled. Since I can still smell it, I went out and walked the road frontage this morning. No skunk and no skunk aroma out there so the skunk is in between the points and alive. I found a turd in the garden this morning that looks more like possum than skunk but the location was out of camera view. Who knows?

aIKBpnQ.jpg

I also found two pepper plants trimmed to the stems. This was also just out of camera view but I expect this is rabbit. That will make three plants ruined so far this year but I have plenty of extras for backups.

Fq76V1u.jpg

So, I gave it a more thought before relocating the camera. Maybe I can see something more appropriate in my pepper plants. I set up a live trap (with carrots) for Bugs Bunny and ordered in a solar powered, motion activated sprinkler to satisfy my inner Fudd. That should be here Friday.

Back