• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

another fert question

This thread started because I have been reading PepperFreak and ThePodPipers problem of nitrogen deficiencies and was about to try Miracle grow as well till I looked up the N-P-K on what I have been using. Something I should have done in the begining but I will chalk it up to a big NOOB error and learn from it.

Son of a b#$%h -- I went and googled my nutes (Maxi-Gro) and for a soil environment I am mixing 1tsp per gallon less than recommended for soil growth (early spring) and 1 1/2tsp per gallon less for aggressive growth (spring) which would nearly double what I have just started doing a week ago :shocked:
On the package it said to start at 1/4 tsp. So I have been bumping very slowly and seeing some growth nothing outstanding leading me to believe I had some bum nutes.

I have been growing these plants indoors all along so should I assume that they would now be in a Spring stage and if so do I gradually bump the solution? I ask because I do see some defiencies on some plants, I think I can go full, or nearly full, strength.

Yes they will. I thought they were growing awfully slow but attributed it to my looking at them everyday 3-4 times a day and over nurturing also learning to put the watering can down and walk away.

I am guessing that I would be in spring schedule for nutes since Im indoors also, I am thinking of cutting the lights to 18/24 from 24/24. Im trying to dial in these nutes to hopefully have a large productive start outdoors. We had frost last night so my plan is to plant outside around Memorial Day

Do you have space for them to get huge?

I wouldn't go to crazy with the fert because you can't undo damage.

Deficiencies in peppers are fairly uncommon in my experience. They are better served underfertilized than over.

Slowly up it until 1 or more plants show signs of over fert and hold there.

I dont think they would get as huge as say Billy Boys or AJs but it sure would be nice. I figured with 3 weeks they should be ready. I may up it another teaspoon and see how it goes the next watering.

I agree with Cheesy. You don't want to over fertilize because it can cause many more problems than it helps. Several posts ago I over did it with my Hans and Pam helped me on how to flush them. They all turned a sick looking color, but after flushing them they bounced back. I can only contribute this to over fertilizing since their ailment happened with in 12 hours of applying the fertilizer, but then again I was using the wrong, unbalanced fertilizer at the time. Now I haven't added anything until I had this recent extreme yellowing, which seems to be correcting.

See with your yellowing you added MG or a high nitrogen fert and they bounced back. My nutes arent as high in N as MG probably 1/2. So thats why
I added more yesterday (1tsp per gallon) I'll see where that gets me. Hopefully the right way. Later yesterday evening things were looking good so later today will be the prize in the box.... I was leaning on underfertilizing -- I had used an organic soil without added nutrients so when the plants got bigger I started using the fertilizer as though they were in a seedling stage.
Well I guess time will tell today......

It seems like "all purpose" or "bloom" fertilizers are too low in nitrogen. It is better to have a vegetativ high nitrogen fert earlier and then a "bloom" or low nitrogen fertilizer later on.(much later)

Its a 10-5-14 N-P-K not to shabby unless you dont use enough(?) perhaps. I am very tempted to try Mracle Grow just for the N factor of it and finish by putting it into rehab with my fertilizer if this doesnt work the way I want.

Sounds like a good plan. I have a theory that the lower nitrogen fertilizers get used too heavilly to get the desired vegetative growth and then there is a little too much of the p and k.

Also, bloom fertilizers are designed to serve as a jolt that stops vegetative growth and sets flowers. I am not sure if that is attributed to higher amounts of P and K, but I think it is possible.

You may have point there with this particular brand the "Bloom" fertilizer ratio becomes 5-15-14 lowering N by half and tripeling Phosphorus for the fruit and flower development and keeping potassium the same.

Hopefully they will not be burned from over fertilizing

I guess negative effects from bloom fert would be....well...blooms!;)

I would switch to a high nitro, fairly diluted, and slowly step it up.

Back