• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

another first time grower with a ghost pepper plant

A friend from work helped me to start growing ghost pepper plants from seed. I had bought a package of ghost peppers from the grocery store and kept seed. I kept two plants and gave two each to three people. One of mine was killed, but the other is doing well. None of the rest are alive. This is strange. Previously the longest I had ever kept a plant alive was two weeks. Now I am seeing flowers, for the first time. I thought that they would be bigger. I am growing indoors and do not have a fan on the plant. What I need to know next is when to hand pollinate - what to look for? how long to wait? Do I just randomly go from flower to flower with a q-tip until I have touched them all a couple times? Do I just tap the plant to vibrate it gently a few times a day and hope for the best? I have about six flowers that are visibly opening up now.

ghost%20pepper%202015%2011-14.jpg

ghost%20pepper%20first%20flowers.jpg

Ambient window light is not enough to sustain an adult plant in most cases.  Put some grow lights on it maybe.  I recommend a T5HO ballast.

Moving the plant to the window was just to get a better picture. I have a 60 watt grow light and a 60 watt normal bulb on it (several inches away, but not too hot) and there are two bulbs in the ceiling light.

Helvete said:
Ambient window light is not enough to sustain an adult plant in most cases.  Put some grow lights on it maybe.  I recommend a T5HO ballast.
if the window faces south and a big one , like my  kitchen bay window which is 5' x 6' , it sustained 4 grown o.w's last year and they even  gave  me some pods . small ones but none the less .   i'm only keeping 1 in this winter and its this reaper , which is full of flowers and little pods . plenty of light  tho .
IMG_0959.JPG

I'm looking forward to the break! Praying for frost! I've given away at least 15 grocery bags of peppers this season, 2nd year and I've got enough put up until after the apocalypse!!!!!

NOTE TO SELF: stop over planting!!!!

Spicy Joe said:
I'm looking forward to the break! Praying for frost! I've given away at least 15 grocery bags of peppers this season, 2nd year and I've got enough put up until after the apocalypse!!!!!

NOTE TO SELF: stop over planting!!!!
same here my friend , need to back off . definitely needing a break .     :onfire:

If I had that many plants I would ask some of my local grocery stores if they would be interested in taking in some potted plants to store in produce. They could sell their own ghost peppers and not have as many supply issues. They order ghost peppers and it takes less than two weeks for the entire supply to disappear. One time the ghost peppers were a really dark brown as opposed to the usual red, and I just assumed that they started to green and ripened to red and then turned brown and that they would be really soft and mushy. Knowing what I do now, though, I might have bought them and kept seeds. Also, I used to work with someone who grew jalapeños at home and jarred them. I think it is time she learned about superhots. I will keep her in mind when I have more seedlings going, because it would probably be easier to take them on the bus at that stage.

Inedible said:
If I had that many plants I would ask some of my local grocery stores if they would be interested in taking in some potted plants to store in produce. They could sell their own ghost peppers and not have as many supply issues. They order ghost peppers and it takes less than two weeks for the entire supply to disappear. One time the ghost peppers were a really dark brown as opposed to the usual red, and I just assumed that they started to green and ripened to red and then turned brown and that they would be really soft and mushy. Knowing what I do now, though, I might have bought them and kept seeds. Also, I used to work with someone who grew jalapeños at home and jarred them. I think it is time she learned about superhots. I will keep her in mind when I have more seedlings going, because it would probably be easier to take them on the bus at that stage.

Did they appear to be Chocolate Ghosts? There are several types out there you know.....

It has been too long to be sure since I saw them, but they did look like chocolate ghosts if I remember correctly. I wish I had bought them so I could taste the difference. It isn't often that the grocery has any ghost peppers or scorpions. Back then I hadn't even heard of chocolate ghost peppers.

Back