• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Another leaf problem (aphids?)

Look at my pics (not Carols :lol:). I would definately say that those are thrips. Too elongated body, and way too few individuals. These are quick movers as well. Does aphids move around fast (for their body size that is)?

Oh oops, yeah, ok. That looks suspiciously like a chilli thrip. I fought my war against the Western flower thrip.

Here's a page that discusses possible treatments. Click on management. Has cool flash videos to help with ID, too. Spinosad is listed, and it is safe for vegetables.

http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/lso/thripslinks.htm

BillyIdle said:
Not to be rude Pam, but I linked to that same page further up in the thread :lol:

Hey, it's Sunday. I supposed to be relaxing!

But because I'm a swell person, here's a thought. I have taken small plants, turned them up whilst holding the dirt and plant in the pot and swished them vigorously in a bucket of warmish soapy water to knock off aphids. No reason it shouldn't work to help control the thrips.

That's a good advice worth trying. I have some plants that are well infested that I have too many of anyway. Could try the trick, and isolate the plant.

BillyIdle said:
Hm, it's said to be effective against thrips as well. This should really be worth a try. Only problem is getting my hands on this stuff over here.

Ask your local pharmacist. He might have some neem oil based spray against house dust mites. In Germany it is called Milbiol and produced by the HEXAL company. I use the samples I get from the pharma representatives visiting my practice. I also saw it on ebay.de and those guys ship it Europe wide.

Hey caroltlw....the dawn works great and I use it
1 tbs dawn plain not anti bacterial
3 tbs dorment oil
2 tbs neem
1 gal water

this has worked wonders for me so good luck and a great season. rich

A little update on the situation. I have finally been able to locate a bottle of neem oil, and it should be here by the end of the week. The thrips has started to multiply quite a lot. The litttle b*stards seemed to like my fully grown Super Chiles better than the smaller plants. And the annuums seems to be prefered over the chinenses.

This has lead me to cut back the Supers quite drastically, just to get the situation under contol. These did't look well at all, with drying and deforming leaves, massive leaf drop and deformed and small fruits. All three of them have fresh growth on the remaining stems, so I guess they'll be just fine in a couple of months. The spraying job will become much easier now that the largest plant is 8" tall with a couple dusins of leaves.

hixs said:
Hey caroltlw....the dawn works great and I use it
1 tbs dawn plain not anti bacterial
3 tbs dorment oil
2 tbs neem
1 gal water

this has worked wonders for me so good luck and a great season. rich

You use dormant oil on non-dormant plants? I'd think you'd be better off with some other type of horticultural oil like a summer oil

just wondering

... has anyone considered using a low power hover to hover up the little buggers.

I had a problem in my kitchen a while back with small fruit flies. There was millions of the little critters (personally I blame my girlfriendfor always leaving the lid off the food waste bin) and the only realy solution we managed to get to work was using a hover on them. It's not easy and takes a while as you have to do it two or three times a day however it was extremely effective and after about 1 week there were no more fruit flies. It seemed somewhat cruel as it was a much more personal kill as you had to chace some of the flies down individually but it was also somewhat rewarding.

I am aware that the strength of the suck ofthe hover may damage the plants and have not tried it myself but maybe one of the small handheld mini hovers (dust-busters) may work? Just wondering if anyone had tried it with aphids.

After I treated all the plants with neem + dishwashing soap a week ago things are starting to look better. There have been occational thrips on the plants, but I have removed these physically. Today however, I discovered that two of the plants swarmed with thrips. Is this normal for these beasts? I sprayed excessisve amounts of neem in the soil, but is this enough to kill 'em all?

Another disturbing discovery was this fellow:

imgp5402.jpg

imgp5406.jpg

Anyone know if this worm is dangerous for my plants?

Back