• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Another lighting question - does spectrum make a bulb worth 2x more then another?

As the title states - 2 MH bulbs, 250w single ended standard mogul socket, etc. One is 4200k and the other is 6500k.

One costs $30, the other $60.

Does that blue spectrum shift make enough difference to justify the price?

Thoughts welcome!

I don't know why the same bulbs with different spectrums would cause such a price differential unless it is the material used in the bulb to shift the spectrum...or it could just be the demand

Different brands cost differently, mostly. anyhow, spectrum does matter. even if not for the manufacturer... grow lights are all about colors, not power. sure more power is great, but it's all about the colors.

A standard MH bulb is near 4000k so the 6500k bulb is a specialty bulb with more blue light. How much is it worth to have the nicest greenest bushy pepper starts and that is the price you pay for the specialty bulb. Both bulbs will work but as there are many other factors you'll have to master to grow great looking plants. Maybe buy the less expensive bulb first and perfect you grow room mechanics then upgrade to the nicer bulbs.

OR maybe I buy both lights, put two of the same pepper's in the same hydro DWC rubbermaid setup and light them differently.

Not 100% scientific but should help prove whether spectrum is worthwhile.

lostmind said:
As the title states - 2 MH bulbs, 250w single ended standard mogul socket, etc. One is 4200k and the other is 6500k.

One costs $30, the other $60.

Does that blue spectrum shift make enough difference to justify the price?

Thoughts welcome!

The better spectrum dont justify it, but the companys want to make money, therefore they make different bulbs for the gardening market, with the higher prices for the more sought after spectrum, yes, different plants have different needs, but most of the time, its the same spectrum that are sought after, whether growing herb or peppers, etc. The more sought after spectrum goes for higher prices. Its for sure, that its not like the spectrum that are most sought after always happens to be more expensive to make, and if thats the case, or they have spent unusually high amounts on research for that spectrum, well it surely dont make up for 30$ or something in price difference :) Anyways, if you spend lots of money on indoor growing, why not spend that extra 30$ , if the spectrum is very suitable for your growing needs, that is. Cutting corners, when already putting up a lot of money, is a waste of money. There are bulbs with spectrums that give you the money back many times over.

Good luck shopping

Luckily for me, I didn't spend much money on my indoor setup at all. I had a bunch of MH lighting equipment lying around collecting dust in the storage room from my coral reef tank - which I took down when I moved to this house cuz I can't find room for it.

So all I spent was money on the bulbs and a few little things like rubbermaids and net pots, etc.

besides the higher cost for gardening, I think it has to do with the materials used in the bulb itself...from what I can tell, they are more expensive...

No, spectrum only means the color of the light put out by that bulb.

The Lower the spectrum, the more red & yellow colored light put out by that bulb

The Higher the spectrum, the more blue light put out by that bulb.

Ex. Daylight bulbs which appear almost blue have a higher kelvin rating (5000k+) while HPS - High Pressure Sodium - bulbs appear yellow and have a lower kelvin rating (2700k+)

What are the two types good for?
Bulbs with higher kelvin ratings (daylight bulbs) give light that the plant mainly uses for vegetative, or leaf, growth.

Bulbs with lower kelvin ratings (HPS bulbs) give light that plants need to flower and fruit but are not as good at helping plants grow leaves.

So... In conclusion, choose High Kelvin rating bulbs if you want to grow plants inside to transplant outside, or, choose low kelvin rating bulbs if you plan on getting plants to fruit inside.

Hope this helped

groeatrepeat said:
So... In conclusion, choose High Kelvin rating bulbs if you want to grow plants inside to transplant outside, or, choose low kelvin rating bulbs if you plan on getting plants to fruit inside.

Hope this helped

Can anyone suggest a good MH and HPS bulbs? I read all the info and tried to find a bulb that's good to get? Seems like the bulbs range from $20 to $120 in cost? Is it worth it to pay an extra $100 for a MH bulb?

Back