• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Another Newbie question

My initial germination is going well.

Some of the pots that are staying too wet are not coming up.

My question is this.....once germinated, how long do the seedlings need to stay on the seedling
Heating pad. Space is at a premium:)

I keep them in my frogroom which gets down to 72 at night and up to 78 during the day.

Thanks a bunch

Also I have noticed that if I plant 5 seeds of a type.....

2-3 will come up right away.

The rest will take another week to ten days to come up.

The later seedlings are always smaller and slower growing once up.

Should these late.comers be discarded?

Possibly genetically weaker?

Thanks

My initial germination is going well.

Some of the pots that are staying too wet are not coming up.

My question is this.....once germinated, how long do the seedlings need to stay on the seedling

I keep them in my frogroom which gets down to 72 at night and up to 78 during the day.

Thanks a bunch

Seedlings don't "need" to be on a heating pad at all - but they certainly don't need to be there after germination. As per your other question, I don't discard plants unless there's something wrong with them. Some of my best plants were slow starters. :)

i dont under stand all this germanition stuff you soak seed in whatever your granny taught you then you push it in soil,lol.

As soon as they sprout, most people remove them from heat and immediately get them under the lights. Most also remove any plastic covering (domes or plastic wrap) at this time.

Also, it is mandatory upon sprouting to post pix of the newborns, their environs, and your plans for their future.... :cool:

Back