• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

ant control outside?

what does everyone use to control ants? I don't have mounds but I have ants going everywhere on our acre. we have very sandy soil and it is on a hill side. thanks

Ant eaters? Actually this is something I would like to know about to. I am in the same situation as you and over the weekend when we got out garden all planted we saw ants everywhere much like last year. it will be interesting to see what comes of this. Glad im not the only one. :D

I HAVE READ MIXING BORAX AND SUGAR , sorry for the caps hope your ears aren't hurting! BUT I don't want to try something I want to use something that works.

I had some serious ant mounds as well last year and this year. I bought this product and it took care of business pretty quickly. It's a white powder that you just spread over the hills.

IMG_8410.jpg

You Have alot ground to cover, citrus peels work in a raised garden moves them right out. Goggle orange extract some one on a post said they used some mixed with water. I make my own with lemon, lime,orange, peels in a blender pour around garden.

Malathion would probably work. Mix and spray and it's safe around most plants. Of course it's going to kill everything (insect wise).
We've got 3 or 4 different types of ants here and they don't seem to hurt anything. They make nest's in my hanging orchids and many other plants and they seem fine. Are you sure you need to get rid of them?

Are the ants a nuissance on the full acre? It seems quite extreme to try to control that much area, especially if you're using pesticides

^ It does, doesn't it? That's why I asked. Go along to get along. ;)

Edit: One thing I've learned here is this; there is no controlling ant's. Anything you do is only temporary. I decided all out warfare goes counter to my relationship to what I'm doing.

thanks for the reply everyone. the ants build nest in electrical outlets and breaker panels plus do the same under my potted plants so I know I have to do something to run them off or KILL them.

The boric acid baits should bring poison into the nests which should kill them off quick, or you could spray pesticide in each individual nest but that could take a while.

thanks again everyone ,I KEPT THE ANTS ALIVE IN MY GARDEN THEY KEPT THE SOIL FROM PACKING BUT THIS WHOLE ACRE IS IN FESTED. SOMEONE MUST HAVE USED SOME MAJOR ChEMICALS AROUND ME. sorry for the caps

You can't use it in your garden, but Advion works (sold under different brand names as a bait). It's expensive, but you'll only need about 2 pounds to cover an acre. If you can't get your surrounding neighbors to wage war with you they will return sooner, but eventually they'll be back anyway and it's a constant war.

For my external breaker boxes and my pump house I just sprinkle a layer of DE inside and refresh it every 3 months or so. There's something about electromagnetic fields that attracts them and they like to screw up the contacts in my pressure switch if I get lax with the DE.

Back