• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

disease Anthracnose possibly

I'm 90% certain my Espelettes and Elephant Ear peppers have got anthracnose.

Had the same problem last year but was so inundated with peppers it didn't worry me much.

My question is: the Espelettes and Elephant Ears had this problem last year, I'm growing seeds I harvested from last years' crop - would anthracnose be passed by diseased seeds?

If yes, if I soaked seeds in H2O2 would that do the trick?

Basically is it a soil/seed/watering/feed problem? Or a shit happens problem?

Hey Tink. I've never had any significant anthracnose problem, but I think it does transfer on seeds so they'd benefit from seed treatment with a fungicide. Bleach treating the seeds might work, but I suspect an H2O2 treatment would require maintaining the solution at an elevated temperature during the soak in order to be effective at stopping it. Again, never actually dealt this myself, so maybe someone else has.

How's the rest of the garden? Doing well, I hope! :)

The best thing is for me to take photos and see what the experts think.
Your link didn't work Marturo :(

Hey CD, the garden has been a game of two halves - lots of things doing well, other things not so well - with torrential rain, storms, cold temps and high winds from mid December to beginning of June, it's been a tricky growing period.
Hardly any Chinense will make it this year - which is OK as I'm concentrating on Asian peppers this year
Baccatums not bad
Annums pretty good

I did cut back on the number of plants this year, although you wouldn't think it :lol:

The micro grows aren't doing too badly, long as I've got enough pods to grab seeds for next year and I have the oddest looking serranos.

Will update my glog soon.

Sorry about that.

KVVNbaP.jpg

Here's my sickly peppers - they're espelettes and the same thing happened to the espelettes last year - bizarre huh
Could it be BER?
If yes, then why are none of the other peppers suffering?
And would it be beneficial to ditch the seeds and buy fresh?

I would be considering BER here. The location seems right for peppers and the upper pod in particular seems to be developing that way.
I was getting some BER on early tomatoes & peppers.
Used some Cal Mag liquid with foliar feeding & I don't see it any longer.

Last edited:
I was getting some BER on early tomatoes & peppers.
Used some Cal Mag liquid with foliar feeding & I don't see it any longer.
In that case mine are ungrateful little sh*ts - they've had homemade compost with loads of egg shells, they've had tomato/pepper feed every week and our soil contains loads of calcium :lol:

Just seems odd that it's only 2 types of pepper amongst 20 other varieties that have BER/sun scald, the rest are clear and the same thing happened last year at the end of ripening *sigh*
The pepper god works in mysterious ways :fireball:

From what I've read, BER typically occurs when plants are growing rapidly and it often affects the first developing fruits. It also is more common in larger fruit. A common cause is that a fast developing plant is not getting enough consistent water/liquid to the fruits during fruit formation, based on drying soil and/or the high demands of rapid growth. Because Ca is not a mobile nutrient, insufficient water distribution means no Ca despite what might be awesome soil.

I read an article that suggests people treat early fruit BER by amending the soil with Ca, then see improvement in further fruit formation without BER. This reinforces the thought that the addition of Ca was needed and cured the BER, when perhaps the BER was cured merely by the plant sufficiently maturing and shifting from vegetative growth to productive mode by the time further fruit formed. IIRC, the article suggested mulching, consistent watering, and "patience" to deal with it.

Last year I had BER bad on two varieties and nothing else. They were both larger sweet peppers.

IIRC, the article suggested mulching, consistent watering, and "patience" to deal with it.

In my experience (tropical lowland conditions), consistent watering is important. I have the occasional pepper plant that suffers from BER (mostly annuum, I think), but growing tomatoes in containers and keeping them BER-free is a challange. I have to water them a bit every day.

I have more issues with BER in tomatoes than in peppers, as well. It's uncommon for me with peppers, but sometimes a bigger anuum variety will get it. I don't remember it on any other pepper species, including the bigger rocotos which I've grown a lot of. With my tomatoes, it's not uncommon that some early fruits will show BER, but later fruits won't. My watering can be inconsistent, especially at the community garden because it requires a drive to get there. I suspect mulching might help.

Back