• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Antifreeze for plants

Hm, it says for agricultural use, and usually that indicates food crops either livestock or humans. I'll be very interested in how this pans out.

Thats great stuff if it works the way they says it does. I would be very interested in finding out its composition.
What if it is just ethylene glycol!

If it works as advertised, it would have effectively extended my season close to three weeks this year, at the least. We had a killing frost two nights in a row but then it warmed back up and stayed above freezing for another 20 days or close to it.

In one forum someone posted it may be available at HD stores in time to protect against late winter, early spring frosts.

Mike

I do not care if they label is as completely harmless and safe for edible plants, I would not use it on anything I consume. Seems like something twenty years down the road they are going to link to cancer.

millworkman said:
I do not care if they label is as completely harmless and safe for edible plants, I would not use it on anything I consume. Seems like something twenty years down the road they are going to link to cancer.

Yeah, I don't think this is going to be for anything but flowers and stuff, not edibles.

"The ingredients include an antifreeze-like substance that is present in animals, another that helps to lower the freezing point of plant cells by dehydrating themm... "

Well these 2 ingredients sound like whatever keeps lizards alive when it's freezing and some kind of salt that sucks the water out of the cells. The rest of it ... ?

millworkman said:

Sorta like unregulated plant hormones?

caroltlw said:
Yeah, I don't think this is going to be for anything but flowers and stuff, not edibles.

"The ingredients include an antifreeze-like substance that is present in animals, another that helps to lower the freezing point of plant cells by dehydrating themm... "

Well these 2 ingredients sound like whatever keeps lizards alive when it's freezing and some kind of salt that sucks the water out of the cells. The rest of it ... ?

this is what I got from wiki on wood frogs, & their bodies freeze, amazing IMO!!!

As for other northern frogs hibernating close to the surface in soil and/or leaf litter, wood frogs tolerate the freezing of their blood and other tissues. Urea is accumulated in tissues in preparation for overwintering, and liver glycogen is converted in large quantities to glucose in response to internal ice formation. Both urea and glucose act as "cryoprotectants" to limit the amount of ice that forms and to reduce osmotic shrinkage of cells. Frogs can survive multiple freeze/thaw events during winter if not more than about 65% of the total body water freezes.

chilehunter said:
...wood frogs tolerate the freezing of their blood and other tissues. ... Frogs can survive multiple freeze/thaw events during winter if not more than about 65% of the total body water freezes.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. I saw something like that on the Discovery Channel once. I think maybe lizards can do the same thing. I find them half-frozen all the time and then they're OK later when they get warm.
Either way, frog DNA or urea or whatever isn't something I'd want to play around with on my nachos!

BUT finding out more about how cold blooded frogs can survive being frozen then thawing & coming back to life with no harm, is very amazing to say the least! that technology could work wonders for humans in the medical field or space ?
that & bear hibernation, imagine the possibilities!

What about the common house-fly. When I go to the cabin in the winter, it takes a few days of heat for all the "dead" flies to thaw and wake up

yea those too I guess, but a little hard to dissect & probe flies for studies.
nonetheless animal technology/skills or whatever you want to call it, could be very useful for humans.
imagine taking a pill & never need to worry about freezing in extreme cold climates or having tissue damage, or the freezing & hibernation combo for space exploration ?

POTAWIE said:
What about the common house-fly. When I go to the cabin in the winter, it takes a few days of heat for all the "dead" flies to thaw and wake up

A few days? We use to "strip" tobacco, that is pull all the leaves off the stalk after it had cured. I can remember a few times we would take tobacco down in the dead of winter, pile it and then bring a bundle of it inside the heated room to strip. In 15 minutes or so, there would be dozens of bees flying around the lights.

Mike

Back