Ants, ants, everywhere?

I have a blooming chocolate scotch bonnet, doing well, minimal eating on the leaves. But there are black ants everywhere and I fear they may be harvesting aphids. I tried some neem oil, works for a while but nothing permanent. Should I be worried?

Neem oil will kill off the workers, but I doubt it will kill the queen.  If the queen is alive the colony will come back.  I have bad fire ants everywhere.  I use food grade diatomaceous earth.  I bought a 5lb bag, and it has lasted me years now.  I sprinkle a generous portion all over the mound, the poke it with a stick until I piss them off so they surface.

Like I said I am worried because a lot of bugs, but not panicked. I do not see aphids just their little bulbs under the leaves. What are the ants doing? I'd supply a picture but what extention should I use?

Got it, thanks! As you can see some eating but unless I see buds falling on the ground, I'm good.

wMquW4v.jpg

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Ants are good to have around. Just deal with the aphids when you see them. Until then, thank the ants for aerating your soil.

They are bad with aphids. They farm the aphids on your plants. If you see ants, you might have aphids. They will move them to different plants as well.

Dulac said:

They are bad with aphids. They farm the aphids on your plants. If you see ants, you might have aphids. They will move them to different plants as well.

I understand how it works. No aphids, no problem. Careful scouting is always important.

Mix powdered sugar and baking soda in a paste with water. The workers will eat it and cary it back to the queen. It causes a chemical reaction in their stomach and they become gassy. Lol.. Thing is ants can't fart so they end up exploding and die.

I had a terrible any problem last season and they were even eating the pods but this took care of them.

Back