• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Ants in greenhouse - is this a problem?

I've working on building a greenhouse with rasiedbeds, I layed down some old roofing shingles for a weed barrier, came back a week later and I have a ant colony starting to come in under the shingles. Will the ants disturb peppers in the beds? I take it I will not want to leave these guys right? They have nested right under where my 20" deep bed will go.

11104135_10204616268621293_1345107096_n5.jpg

11104135_10204616268621293_1345107096_n.jpg

Another problem with ants is if they are farming aphids they will protect them from ladybugs and other predators. So if these ants did start farming aphids on your plants and you bought ladybugs or other beneficials to get rid of the aphids you'd have to get rid of the ants first.

I don't like to kill insects if I don't need to but every time I've had a problem outdoors with aphids there have been ants farming them. I just put down some of the dual food (protein/sugar) bait stations around my containers and it clears them out in a couple weeks. You could do a wait and see to find out if your ants are farming aphids or you can just rid yourself of them. If you want a no kill approach ants don't like citrus. Grind up citrus peels with some water and spread around.

Ants are good. They break down organic matter and help aerate soil. They only start becoming a problem when they start farming aphids on your plants.

So then wouldn't it be more ideal to address the ants as an issue, and replace them with worms for the purpose of soil aeration and breaking down organic matter?

Thank you everyone, I did not know the relationship between ants and aphids. I sprayed the ants that were trying to colonize under the shingles, every last one of them is dead. I decided to remove the shingles, and use some spare roll roofing I had. Today I moved in fresh dirt.

Back