• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ants

I am looking for some help of how to get rid of ants in your pots without killing your pepper trees.I am getting ants in all my pots,don't know what to do.

fill your saucers with water then flood your pots make em think its time to move, then let your pots dry out bait the ants with a boric acid, bread and honey paste.

I always have Lasius sp. ants move into a few of my pots during the summer. I let them stay, as they do a good job aerating the soil as they dig tunnels and galleries. They always seem to move back to the ground about this time of year, so I never end up bringing them in when I bring my plants in for the winter. Lasius sp. ants don't bite or sting, so they're ok to have around, I just have to make sure they aren't tending any aphids on my plants! If you have fire ants then I definitely understand your concern!

I'm probably slaughtering the spelling here, but it's something like diamotaceous earth - spread it around and you're good. Also, +1 on arolvl - since ants farm aphids, better to get rid of them, IMO.

not that its much help but there's a plant that ants don't like that can be used as a deterrent sorry but i don't know the name of it,but any things worth a try

Thanks for all the information from everybody but what i want to know is what would happen when i put water on the soil,will it kill the concentration of the borax or will it kill the ants and the plant survive also.I'm looking for a soloution or anything to counter-act the ants out of my pots for good,i need help bad befor i get aphids...

Thanks for all the information from everybody but what i want to know is what would happen when i put water on the soil,will it kill the concentration of the borax or will it kill the ants and the plant survive also.I'm looking for a soloution or anything to counter-act the ants out of my pots for good,i need help bad befor i get aphids...
If in the ground, put the ant killing powder away from the plants, so top watering doesn't wet the powder. If in pots, bottom water the plants, and you want powder on the ground, around the pot mostly anyway.

Lots of fire ants here. I use DE (diatomaceous earth). I dust the ground then set the pot in the center and also sprinkle some on top of the growing medium. You'll need to reapply when it gets wet after a watering, but about two applications will make the survivors leave.

Back