• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any arizona growers out there?

I am growing bhuts outside on the porch and providing them with just some sun and shade cloth to survive since they cannot product once it gets so hot out since it is still at least 80 at night. I have Naga morich's inside producing some and yellow 7 pots which are starting to get flowers. I will put the 7's and Naga's out in sept and i should get a great fall harvest. It is really difficult to grow plants in the summer in az i can tell you first hand. I was curious if any other az peps are out there?

Looks like i may be on my own in azizona growing super hots. I forgot that my peruvian white habanero's have been producing nicely-- inside of course!

allenstu said:
I am growing bhuts outside on the porch and providing them with just some sun and shade cloth to survive since they cannot product once it gets so hot out since it is still at least 80 at night. I have Naga morich's inside producing some and yellow 7 pots which are starting to get flowers. I will put the 7's and Naga's out in sept and i should get a great fall harvest. It is really difficult to grow plants in the summer in az i can tell you first hand. I was curious if any other az peps are out there?

I'm not in AZ, but I will be packing a few plants for the Old Lady's dad next week. I'm including a Trini and a white hab. I think he is going to place them inside close to a window on the Southwest side of the house. I hope they do ok. I initially thought outside against the wall where it gets lots of shade on only a few hours of direct heat, but he said outside can get up to 120 in the summer and even in the shade it may not make it so inside it will probably stay.

Just up the road a bit (Prescott). We mulch heavy and use shade cloth over most of the garden. Last year we started using misters and the seemed to help some. When the temps climb into triple numbers about all we can do is damage control but it seem to always work out.
Jim

Yeah-- damage control is right and your up in the somewhat cooler weather. I have two bhuts outside that get a little afternoon sun with a shade cloth. Even when its high 90's out and you leave the shade cloth down they start to wilt even when sprayed with water. The sun is really intense here in the summer so i believe that if I keep the bhuts happy during the summer-- this fall they produce a nice crop-- time will tell. allen

jbeery said:
Just up the road a bit (Prescott). We mulch heavy and use shade cloth over most of the garden. Last year we started using misters and the seemed to help some. When the temps climb into triple numbers about all we can do is damage control but it seem to always work out.
Jim

when do you usually start to see the peppers after summer producing outside- i'm guess middle to end of sept?

jbeery said:
Jim

Allen- I lived in the Tempe area for 11 years and I know exactly the temps that you are referring to. I had a buddy there who grew many different varieties of peppers in north Scottsdale outside in the ground. As far as I know he let them fend for themselves in the summer. Watered of course, but nothing else, as far as I know. I see my plants drooping by the end of the day here in Miami (FL), and that's not in the 110's, nor 100+ in the middle of the night! Not sure what I'm trying to tell you other than I think the summer will super-stress your plants, but they should survive and produce very well.

I sure don't get as high of temperatures as you guys in Arizona get but it still gets hot enough for most of the plants to stop setting pods in July/August (highs in the 100s and lows in the 80s)...last year, my biggest/best harvest were in late September and October...was picking about 20 pounds a week...I did notice that the plants that were shaded in the afternoon (they were against my west privacy fence) produced more than the others...

Last night was so hot I couldn't sleep... I have no idea how hot it was, but it was REALLY HOT, like at the very least 38c... all my plants looked half dead this morning.

Omri said:
Last night was so hot I couldn't sleep... I have no idea how hot it was, but it was REALLY HOT, like at the very least 38c... all my plants looked half dead this morning.

38c was your night time temp? What are day time temps like?

Omri said:
Well that was a bit unusual, but the past week was around 40c+.

Wow...the record high for my area is about 39.4C
Does air conditioning even work in that heat? Haha

Josh said:
Wow...the record high for my area is about 39.4C
Does air conditioning even work in that heat? Haha
Yes it does, but you need a good one. the crappy one in my office doesn't. :lol:

Omri said:
the crappy one in my office doesn't. :lol:

Yea I know what that is like. I use to do maintenance in a few warehouse buildings. Doing anything near the ceilings, whether it was working on sprinklers, putting in roof drains, etc., was always rough. The sweat would drip off the bill of my hat like a leaky faucet.

Oh no, doing actual work is actually easier. my last job had a lot of physical requirements and the sweat was all over, but when it's just hot and you sit there... OMG it's like being cooked alive!

allenstu said:
when do you usually start to see the peppers after summer producing outside- i'm guess middle to end of sept?

All plants in the garden have fruit as we speak but the larger and heavier yields will come in later in the season unless we get blessed with a cooler july than normal.

The one thing i know for sure is that no pepper plants can handle 114 degrees during the middle of the afternoon day in and out and survive. I believe as long as you give them afternoon shade you can have them make it to the fall and start producing. I like the fact that the peppers i have inside are producing some peppers to try til the fall comes. Can't wait!

jbeery said:
All plants in the garden have fruit as we speak but the larger and heavier yields will come in later in the season unless we get blessed with a cooler july than normal.

Back