• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Any downsides to bonemeal?

I recently repotted all my peppers with about a teaspoon of bonemeal per 4" pot. The difference in a week is amazing! My somewhat sickly looking seedlings have turned robust, with big green leaves and substantial new growth, including much Y-forking. In 2 weeks they will be moved to their (final) 12" pots and put outside. I'm thinking about throwing in a tablespoon per pot of some more bonemeal. Anyone have thoughts on whether there's any downsides to this, or is bonemeal all upside? Tnx!

I can never have too much (within reason) given the awful soil I have to work with. A few people around here complain of rodent problems when using it tho. I've only had rodent problems with the bag, so it's stored in a drum now.

Biggest problem I've had was with raccoons. They'll go digging through pots and in the ground looking for it. Being smart animals, they usually figure out it isn't worth the effort after a couple weeks though, so it's just a matter of planning ahead and getting bonemeal in the ground/pot well ahead of the actual plant-out. Otherwise, you may lose several seedlings in the process.

Still, I love what it does for the plants. Threw a good handful of bonemeal and a banana peel at the bottom of my tomato holes, and they're taking off.

Back