• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Any green beaners out there?

Hey guys, I have some sickly green beans and it seems to  happen everytime I try to grow them either from seed or starters, they end up the same way. Can anyone tell me what is going wrong? They are in a mix of potting soil and cow manure compost and pearlite.

These pictures were taken on 5-9 and are much worse now. I've already lost 2 of them.

beanpix5-9-9_zpsd3eb84b5.jpg

beanpix5-9-7_zps4dbc9ffe.jpg

beanpix5-9-5_zps6e9ddf50.jpg

beanpix5-9-2_zps334c0020.jpg

Anything is welcome. I love fresh beans so much but I just cant seem to grow them and it ticks me off to no end.

Thanks
Angie

looks like way to much water for starters?

maybe also get them in the ground,as beans love the soil and also need almost no water or interferance from you.
also my wife does grow a few beans in containers but her medium is a blueberry kinda mix,"meaning a very drainfull medium."    they are only watered when they look sad. almost like any crops.  things dont like to be soaked all the time. think of your feet or hands after a long tub.  

Did you start those in a shelter then move them to full sunshine without a gradual hardening-off period? White leaves like that are often basically a sunburn.

Did a Google search on "green bean white leaves" and found some items about fungus and molds that will turn leaves white, as well. Normally those start out looking like something on the surface, but I can't make enough out from your pics. If it looks like the leaves themselves just became bleached, most likely it's from too much sun too quickly. But if it looks like something on the surface and then the leaves themselves, most likely a fungus or mold. 

Thanks for the input guys, here are some pictures from 7 days before those previously posted. This picture kinda shows some black spots on the leaf. At closer look and sticking a finger on them they tended to jump leaving me to believe they were bugs of some sort. They are to small for me to see so it is hard for me to identify.

beanpix5-2-5_zps1f3ab965.jpg

Think these are just regular black spots on this one
beanpix5-2-6_zps9e5f5c03.jpg

This one looks like a little of both

beanpix5-2-3_zps8bf79059.jpg

Thanks again for any help you can give... I'll try to cut down on watering especially since it poured today.

Angie

Thanks dash 2, now to look up how to get rid of them.

Since this posting I'm down to one of each bean plant and they get 50/50 on health looking. They seem to look better after a feeding and I managed to get 2 beans off one heheheh. Want to fert them again but looks like rain for next 3 days so no sense in having them washed out right away.

Angie

I used to grow peas (and morning glories) that would look the same exact way. Are they 'dusty' or 'cobwebby' looking? Mine were, and it ended up being spider mites, and they came on after a warm, dry spell. They hate humidity, so I used to go out and spray them with the hose 2-3 times a day. That helped, but honestly...I eventually opted to support some other growers at the Farmers Market instead, and gave up growing peas. I'm at a new location now tho - so back to square #1!!! hahaha Happy Growing to you, and best of luck!!!! :)

Thanks Chile Juju. they just lost their color and turned really brittle, maybe cobwebby looking. Not sure how to explain it. It happens all the time when I try to grow green beans. I think dash 2 has it with flea beetles but I don't really see holes in the leaves just discoloration and brittleness. Thanks for the input tho...everything helps greatly.

Angie

Back