• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Any idea what bug this is?

So i saw this at lunch today on one of my plants that i am giving away, thoughts as to what it is.  It appears to fly or at least flutter around a little when startled.

Edit: sorry it is turned the wrong way

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 66
solid7 said:
Looks like some sort of stink bug.

But on further investigation, it is a tortoise beetle...

Plagiometriona clavata, to be exact.
Ha, well that was very specific thanks  :party: I take it these aren't harmful?

HotandHeavy said:
That is wild looking.
Yes it is

santis00 said:
aren't those the coolest looking bugs?! I had one last year and yes it is a tortoise beetle.
Very cool, as i said above not harmful i guess.

Ha, well that was very specific thanks  :party: I take it these aren't harmful?
They can be, but they're not known to be devastators.

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask advice on treating things like this, because I tend to try to find solutions that are inclusive of the biodiversity in which such creatures are found. Or, to put it a different way, I'd rather let nature use its own methods to kill things, than to invoke my own protocol. (beneficial predators, primarily) Especially if you only see one or two. I prefer balance within the fauna... Sometimes - not always, but sometimes - if you just keep the plant growing healthy and strong, and focus on that aspect, everything else works itself out. But you have to be careful how you unbalance the little microcosm that is your garden.

Have you ever noticed that people who pay stupid money to keep green lawns, always seem to be fighting something? You treat the grubs, you chinch bugs. You treat the chinch bugs, you get ants. You treat the ants, you get the grubs again... On and on it goes. Coincidence? Or is it "treatment" down to a money-making science?

So one little bug, that isn't renown for annihilating garden plants? Well, you have the power... But I'd turn the other cheek on that one. In case of infestation, blame the lawn treatment guy.

solid7 said:
They can be, but they're not known to be devastators.

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask advice on treating things like this, because I tend to try to find solutions that are inclusive of the biodiversity in which such creatures are found. Or, to put it a different way, I'd rather let nature use its own methods to kill things, than to invoke my own protocol. (beneficial predators, primarily) Especially if you only see one or two. I prefer balance within the fauna... Sometimes - not always, but sometimes - if you just keep the plant growing healthy and strong, and focus on that aspect, everything else works itself out. But you have to be careful how you unbalance the little microcosm that is your garden.

Have you ever noticed that people who pay stupid money to keep green lawns, always seem to be fighting something? You treat the grubs, you chinch bugs. You treat the chinch bugs, you get ants. You treat the ants, you get the grubs again... On and on it goes. Coincidence? Or is it "treatment" down to a money-making science?

So one little bug, that isn't renown for annihilating garden plants? Well, you have the power... But I'd turn the other cheek on that one. In case of infestation, blame the lawn treatment guy.
I don't disagree with you at all, and i am not one of those that pays stupid money for green lawns, besides i have dogs that keep my lawn really green  :P  .  If i notice i have a lot of aphids i will do a soap spray but i agree if nature can help out i will definitely go that course.  I looked up about those and you are right it will eat a little but not too bad.  Plus it really is pretty cool looking.

Back