• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Any idea what this mystery pepper is?

Hi all, long time lurker, but only just signed up for advice. Bought these seedlings which were advertised as 'Cheyenne', they turn orange apparently. Much googling reveals very little about these peppers, I assumed they'd be a bit like cayennes, but they look nothing like them, anybody have any idea what they might be?

Also I know this is the wrong forum, but I figure you guys know anyway, this is a 7-pot brain strain I'm growing, it's starting to throw out a flower, but it seems a bit small to be doing this, should I pinch them out and let it bush a little, I've got no experience with superhots so I hope you can help

Thanks in advance, really hope you can help, looking forward to contributing to the forum

Luke

I`d say Jalapeno cross of some sort, but it`s going to be very difficult to pin down. 

I`d also pinch out the flower on the Brain Strain. Let the plant get bigger before you let it fruit, then you`ll see a lot more fruit in the end.

Awesome, thanks guys, reckon it will be pretty hard to pin that pepper down until it's ripened and I've tasted it, I think that should be within the next couple of weeks!

As for the brain strain, I've pinched the flower, how tall would you let it get before you stop pinching?

Thanks a lot

Luke

Kinda looks like a Pimento de Padron 
from thechileman.org

Attachments

• Pim Pad_1.jpg
    Pim Pad_1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 103
  • Pim Pad flow.jpg
    Pim Pad flow.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 103
Quick update guys. Harvested my first pepper from these today. They're very odd. They have a sweet initial taste a little like a bell, but they have a heat of a jalapeño. Any idea what they could be? Got loads of seeds in each pod too, I'm based in the UK but happy to send them to anyone if it doesn't cost me too much!

^^^ Looks like it really is a "Cheyenne", what makes it confusing is that there are two peppers with the name "Cheyenne", a long red, and this blocky orange.

Not sure if it's a specialty F1 cross. If it is, then the F2 seed next season may reveal the parent stock. But if it re-crosses with something in your garden, then you may never figure it out :P

Thanks Jkernea. That's really useful stuff.

Jetchuka, the beauty of it is, it's been indoors, isolated, and I hand pollinated the flowers pretty early, so I'm pretty sure they're not crossed, kinda excited to see what the F2s come up with. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get jalapeno like peppers and bells to be honest.

Someone who knows about pollination, what happens if I then hand pollinate the F2s to ensure they don't cross, will the F3s have the same genetic variation as the F2?

Luke

Back