• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any idea what's going on here? - Help Needed

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking these forums for a while, this year is my first season trying to grow these super hots.  Recently I have run into some issues with a couple plants so some input would be grateful since I can't figure out what the cause of the issue is.

I've been growing on my balcony in 5 gallon buckets.  Used promix mixed with perlite.  First picture is a Bhut, second is a carolina reaper plant.   The new growth on both has been coming out wrinkled/twisted and yellowish.  It also appears something has been eating the leaves.  I've recently fed all my plants with a 1/4 dose of cal-mag.   I don't know what problem I have here, but I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me. (and what actions would be needed to correct this).

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

G7b3xTJ.jpg

xrdnkBe.jpg

First off, WELCOME!

The most common cause of yellowing, especially for new growers, is overwatering. Did you drill holes into the bottoms of those buckets, and even if so, a lot of them or just a few? Chiles generally like fairly dry conditions and stress out when too wet. If you think you have sufficient drainage, possibly you are watering too frequently. The easiest method of knowing when to water is using the lift method - simply lift the pots a bit off the ground and judge how heavy they are. First, don't water until the leaves wilt just a tad and lift the bucket - this is about how light it should be before you water it again. Then water it thoroughly, allowing water to freely flow through the drain holes. Let the water finish running off then lift again, and note how much heavier it is. Repeat this process a few times then you won't need to let the leaves wilt any more - just water when it's close to being the same light weight.

The puckered leaves appear to have early signs of fertilizer burn. If you are growing in commercial potting soil you need to be aware that they usually come with built-in fertilizer. (And also, if using a "moisture control" type, that is not good for chiles.) That means any fertilizer you add, including CalMag, needs to be at a reduced level from what's on the label. Water with plain water the next few weeks, then when you do start fertilizing again, do so at a lesser amount.

Geeme, you said:

if using a "moisture control" type, that is not good for chiles.

May I inquire why so I don't make a costly  mistake.

Thanks
Angie

I think what Geeme was getting at was by using a moisture control potting soil you are getting a lot of the time released fertilizers that was mentioned in the preceding statement. And that by simply learning what peppers plants need and when they need it, you will find gimmick soils unnecessary. The problem new growers run into is these soils are so easy to pick up because of availability. they plant their peppers in it and then come on this site and start reading the threads on feeding their plants not knowing the soil they are using is already hot. Hence, Whats wrong with my plant threads.

OP, Welcome to THP. I concur with the above posters on over watering.Fortunately, over watering is easily correctable.
Your plants otherwise looks really good and healthy other than needing to dry out a bit. You have lots of growth with the color being what it should be, close formed nodes and buds.
Good Luck

Spicytigger said:
Geeme, you said:
if using a "moisture control" type, that is not good for chiles.
May I inquire why so I don't make a costly  mistake.

Thanks
Angie

Hi Angie!

The moisture control type of potting soil is supposed to "protect against both under and over watering." Sounds good, but by whose definition? The average garden vegetable plant prefers a more moist environment than chile plants like. Moisture control products are formulated towards this average, which is too moist for chiles. 

Last year my friend grew monstrous chile plants and I asked him what he did. He said, nothing, just used the moisture Miracle Gro and his girlfriend watered it a few times a week. No added fert.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I appreciate the input and I have not watered the plants in about a week.  I drilled about 10 3/8 inch holes in the bottom of each bucket.  We had some serious rain here recently and I'm sure that is the cause of the over watering.

I will keep and eye on them for the next few weeks and post an update.

Thank you once again!  :cool:

Awesome info Geeme on the "when to water" method.  I'm pretty sure I have been overwatering and that makes it simple.

Oh I'm also adding some drainage rocks at the bottom of my pots.  I'm upgrading from 3 gallon pots to 10 gallon pots.

So just an update:

Haven't watered at all since, my last post about a week ago.  Tons of new growth, everything greener and new growth looks much healthier than what I showed in my previous post.  

Now I was just wondering, I've heard mixed things about plucking the early flowers/pods in order to make the plant produce more and bigger pods.  But since it's already past mid June and my growing season isn't too long in Toronto, would this still be advisable?  or should I just leave it the way it is.

Any input would be appreciated, I included some updated pics.  It actually wasn't a reaper in my first post, but a scorpion plant  :lol:   Don't mind the bamboo skewers, I was having issues with pigeons perching on the edge of the buckets and nipping at the leaves.

e2ukKH3.jpg

yYTDrMz.jpg

BkxOk8F.jpg

Back