• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Any ideas on how to support tomatoe plants

Put in new raised bed by back of shed. Tomatoes grew like weeds. Used round medal tomatoe stakes. They outgrew them , Any ideas that have worked for you? Working on next years plans.

Plant and vegetable support net.....
florahorizontalapplication.2.JPG

I got some tomato cage/hoops but they aren't economical if you're growing a lot of tomatoes. (I paid @ $6 U.S.D./ea) I like the vegetable support net in post#2 if you are growing them in the ground that is. I'm growing a few in two pots indoors (someone gave them to me as sprouts because I generally only grow hot peppers).

You can put a pole in the ground, one on one end and one on the other. Secure another pole across that (horizontally) then over every plant, you tie a thick string on and attach a stake at the bottom...stick it in the ground. Once the tomatoes start getting big enough, keep wrapping the top of the plant around it. When it grows another 4-6in wrap it some more. Keep spiraling the plant ("training") around the string, all the way up.

Or some kind of modification of this idea should work. Whatever works best for you. Cages suck and are a waste of time IMO. I've had them and won't use them again.

I tried the "Florida weave" for the first time this year, and it worked great. I had very neat 8 foot "walls" of tomato plants.
The FL weave I also tried for the first time this year, never again. We had several bad storms with very high winds and rope acted like a razor. Then again not much of anything would have saved some the limbs that were loaded with tomatoes. The weight of the branches and wind were so strong the 8 foot stakes actually bent. On to plan f...

Florida weave is excellent for suckered plants but if you prefer to have bushier plants, you will need to buy or build better supports. I like to use wire fencing to build strong cages

Florida weave is excellent for suckered plants but if you prefer to have bushier plants, you will need to buy or build better supports. I like to use wire fencing to build strong cages
Yep, worked great for some cherry varieties I had but not so much for roma and other heirloom types I had growing. I have tons of plastic fencing left over from my massive iguana cage, I'll be using that for 2013.

The FL weave I also tried for the first time this year, never again. We had several bad storms with very high winds and rope acted like a razor. Then again not much of anything would have saved some the limbs that were loaded with tomatoes. The weight of the branches and wind were so strong the 8 foot stakes actually bent. On to plan f...

I should add that I connected the tops of all the stakes making one solid structure. It's more work in the beginning, but easy after that. We had a few storms with high winds, and almost nothing got damaged. Some ripe maters fell off the vine, but that's about it.

I don't remember when I took this pic, but it was fairly early in the season. Most of the plants grew to the top, and some grew halfway back down.

canada-andgarden182.jpg

Yes, I (try to) keep my plants pruned and under control. My issue is I have limited space, and this method seems to get me the most bang for my buck.

I tried Florida weave for the first time this year also. We had 120 plants and it worked great until the plants got too big. They bent the poles, stretched out the string and generally just fell all over the place. We couldn't keep them suckered because it was just too hot this summer to spend that much time out in the sun.

Next year I have about 200 ft of 4ft tall cattle panel at my disposal, thinking about trying to put it to use on the tomatoes. Anyone tried it? Any insights?

Yes, I'm not a fan of the conventional method. Without the tops of the stakes connected, they will bend while pulling the string tight. As you work your way up the stakes, the tops bend in more and more making the lower strings loose.

Oh, and I used nylon twine and pulled it very tight. It didn't stretch throughout the season.

I buy the big tomato cages and support them with 4 ft rebar. At least the cages don't fall down. A new thing I tried this summer
was single stem pruning. It worked really well until I got a little lazy and a lot of suckers got away from me. I did this in a 12x 4
raised bed. Going to to it again next year.

Back