• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Any Ideas on this ?

I had the same problem with my 2 serrano chili plants yesterday 6/8/10. I lightly pulled apart the wrinkled leaves (new growth leaves) and they were full of little baby inch worms. Their webs they spin were pulling all the leaves together, and they were eating up some of my other leaves. Also, I've been having an issue with small spiders. Not spider mites, but little spiders that do that with my new growth. Spider's are usually good, but don't mess up my new growth, DAMMIT!!!

I was going to post another topic, but might as well do it here. Almost the same subject.

White Flies and Little Worms and Aphids, Oh My!!! They're attacking. The dish soap/water mixture ain't working to well. My well renowned nursery in my area recommended Spinosad spray. Never heard of it. Must do it on large scale because I think it all started from the wifey's flower garden. Meaning I must spray everything, including the child. (maybe we don't have lice in our hair, probably just white flies).

So has anyone here used this? Is it harmful to good insects or pets? The links I've read say it's "low mammal toxicity levels"?

Here's a link.

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/spinosad.html

Spinosad and BT based insecticides are pretty good. You can get a small bottle of BT at home depot for about 7 bucks. They target leaf eating worms, but wont do anything to aphids, slugs or snails. I had a run-in with a little worm no bigger than a grain of rice. Little @#$% chomped a hole about three times his size in about 5-6 hours. I've seen the damage a two inch worm can do. Not pretty. BT works a few hours after the caterpillar ingests it. But it is probably best to physically remove as many as you can, then spray. Repeat again after a week or so.

U)<now ...... I've heard of removing lower leaves. I think AJ said he did it because lowers leaves near the soil can help cause fungus problems. Your thought is good too.

scarpetti ..... I've used a Spinosad product , in I fact used it a week ago because of cucumber bettles and tomato worms ( hook worms I think they're called ). I first used it last year and liked it. Now my dwags don't eat my plants , but if they did .... they need to fear me more than the Spinosad . It's doesn't hurt Lady Bugs or anything that doesn't munch on the plant.

franzb69 ..... read the above link .... it's certified organic , that's why I first tried it.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

...and I believe most Bt based products are OMRI certified as well. Just and fyi.

My well renowned nursery in my area recommended Spinosad spray. Never heard of it. Must do it on large scale because I think it all started from the wifey's flower garden. Meaning I must spray everything, including the child. (maybe we don't have lice in our hair, probably just white flies).

So has anyone here used this? Is it harmful to good insects or pets? The links I've read say it's "low mammal toxicity levels"?

Here's a link.

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/spinosad.html

Yep, I use it and it works very well.

Still looking for an environmentally-friendly insecticide that won't harm beneficial insects, but still sticks it to pesky pests? You may need to look no further.

Spinosad (pronounced spin OH sid) is a relatively new insect killer that quickly and safely controls a variety of caterpillar, beetle and thrips pests. Spinosad is derived from the fermentation juices of a lowly soil bacterium called Saccharopolyspora spinosa. To chemists, spinosad is a complex molecule known as a "glycosylated macrolactone;" but to gardeners with a hankering for safer products, it may be a godsend.

Spinosad is not particularly new, having been granted organic status by the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) in 2003. However few home gardeners are aware of its potential uses.

Spinosad is especially effective on caterpillars and thrips. If you're a flower gardener, your ears should prick up on this one. Thrips and caterpillars are the two most important pest groups on annual and perennial flowers. Perhaps the best thing about spinosad-containing products is their safety for people and beneficial insects. Spinosad is safe for adult butterflies and many insect predators and parasites. It falls into the safest human health category as well.

Bacillus thuringiensis, known for years to savvy gardeners as "Bt", has been a standard weapon for the war against caterpillars. As an insecticide, Bt is a safe, selective product for caterpillars. However, Bt lacks staying power. Instead of Bt's one or two days' residual, spinosad keeps killing for up to four weeks. In addition, spinosad kills thrips, which Bt doesn't faze.

Yesterday morning I went out with jewelry loops and looked everything over. I found a few that had Aphids. But none of them were the ones with funky leaves. After reading about the broad mite I don't think I could see those tiny things with the magnification I have. I sprayed everything with a pyrethrins - neem oil product. I could see the Aphids gag ..... which was very satisfying. I some have Lady Bugs and some Praying Mantis eggs that should show up today.

I'm going to remove any lower leaves I may have today.

Peace & Thanks for everyone's thoughts on my problem,
P. Dreadie

Here's an update on some of the plants that had these funky looking leaves. The Bonnet looks great so no picture. But I still have 3 Fatalii and 4 Jolokia plants that look pretty much the same. What new growth I've gotten looks pretty much the same, they never got what I'd call normal looking leaves. I'm getting some pods which I can't really believe because they still look like crap. I'm getting more pods on the Fatalii plants than the Jolokia plants.

I was given many reasons about what might have been up with these plants. So I tried to cure the plants with all the ideas I was handed. Nada .... PRF said sometimes plants do that and he had to idea why ..... it just happens. Guess that's where I am now. I fooled with them all this time and they never got better. I'm surprised and pleased they put some pods on but next time I don't think I'd put as much work into them as I did. But the Scotch Bonnet did get better .....

If this is your first look at this thread you may want to go back to the start.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Fatalii

Fatalii-1.jpg

Jolokia

Jolokia.jpg

I'd try re-potting those plants, I'm thinking you'll find a wet soggy mush and some brown roots at the bottom of those buckets and give them a dose of diluted peroxide.

Hate to see they never got any better P.D, glad you're getting some pods. If you follow SS's advice I would really like to hear what you find. I've had this problem on a few plants myself and never found the answer. Good luck.

Back