• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any ideas? What could be the issue?

Hello Everyone,

I am having some issues with my Kapijas, and only my Kapijas are showing these symptoms.
Any idea what can the be solution for this?

Balázs

I'm a first year grower so I'll defer to the experts but it looks like blossom end rot (BER) to me.  Lots of posts on the forum if you search for it.  Caused by calcium deficiency; certain varieties require more calcium than others which is why it can effect one plant and not a different variety right next to it.  When it showed up on my Anaheims this year, I added Neptune's Harvest crab shells to the soil to raise the overall calcium level in the longer term but also hit them with Cal-Mag to expedite the delivery of calcium to the roots.  If it is BER and you remediate like this, your next pods should be OK.

There's other issues I don't fully understand yet like whether Ca carbonate is superior to other forms for absorption.  You also need to be careful with the ratios of nutrients in the soil because an imbalance can cause a "lock" that prevents the plant for absorbing everything you feed it.  But, like I said, I'll let the experienced guys expound on that one.

Best of luck.

that is a classic case of blossom end rot (BER).

There's other issues I don't fully understand yet like whether Ca carbonate is superior to other forms for absorption
no, superior would be calcium nitrate. botnicare cal-mag plus is an example of a product that uses c/n. so when choosing a calcium supplement check the labels for the brand that is available in your area, if you can't find a c/n product, who knows different country rules, then go for the carbonate product.

good luck with your issue.

Calcium carbonate has to react with acid to be absorbed.  If you have sufficiently acidic soil pH or enough acid(ic) rain it can work fine, but not so well with alkaline tap water.  You can just mix it or egg shells which are also calcium carbonate, with vinegar to produce calcium acetate but give the plant a lot less of this than the prescribed dose of calcium carbonate since it is much more readily absorbed.

Back