• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Any ideas?

Bought this as a very small plant, was tagged as purple tiger, but from looking online I'm pretty sure it's something else, from what I've seen the purple tigers leaves should have a lot of white on them and the pod shape is different. It has no flowers at the moment so I can't recall exactly what colour they were. The pods started off a deep purple but are now turning green so not sure what colour they'll end up as. Anyway any thoughts would be welcomed.

Attachments

• P_20230219_192621.jpg
    P_20230219_192621.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 217
  • P_20230219_195725.jpg
    P_20230219_195725.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Okay I'm pretty sure I noticed the same plant being grown in a pepper geek video on youtube, they informed me that the plant is a new cross called "Olive Nagabrains" which goes from purple to a mustard colour. Not sure how my local nursery got hold of it, but I'm not complaining if it is. Will have to wait and see if the pods end up a mustard sort of colour to be sure.

It sure looks like it has naga/bhut influence in the plant, but it would be tough to know what it actually is - if it actually "is" any particular variety. Often, these types of finds were hybridized or weren't stabilized to begin with. I'm a bit surprised your local nursery was selling such an enthusiast's variety, but I that's your good luck I guess :)

Okay I'm pretty sure I noticed the same plant being grown in a pepper geek video on youtube, they informed me that the plant is a new cross called "Olive Nagabrains" which goes from purple to a mustard colour. Not sure how my local nursery got hold of it, but I'm not complaining if it is. Will have to wait and see if the pods end up a mustard sort of colour to be sure.
Most Nagabrains I grew or saw up to now have that characteristic "brainy" textured skin (see picture below), which is not the case here. It could be another Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta de Neyde hydrid or any other crosses with PDN in its lineage as well. If you are pleased with it in the end that's what matters most!
1676990168203.png

Last edited:
Most Nagabrains I grew or saw up to now have that characteristic "brainy" textured skin (SEE PICTURE BELOW), which is not the case here. It could be another Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta de Neyde hydrid or any other crosses with PDN in its lineage as well. If you are pleased with it in the end that's what matters most!
I agree with you there, was mainly trying to determine at what stage to harvest the peppers and more importantly how to label the seeds I harvest from it.

I agree with you there, was mainly trying to determine at what stage to harvest the peppers and more importantly how to label the seeds I harvest from it.
Wait till it changes color and make sure that the color stays before harvesting (may take weeks). You can gently squeeze the top of the pods between your fingers to know when they will be ready for harvest (they'll get softer to the touch).

As for the name, I'm afraid you have no other choice but to name it as a mysterious or unknown cross because unfortunately there are endless possibilities here Plus, you certainly don't want to join the club of those who rename chili peppers!

As far as ripening, now that the anthocyanin has degraded they should now ripen like any immature green pods, which could be red, yellow, brown, orange, etc. It's just a matter or waiting to see how things develop.

As far as labeling, it's highly unlikely you'll ever know what variety it is, if it even is some stabilized variety rather than being an unplanned hybrid. I would probably label it as "unknown cross" or "unknown pink tiger cross" or similar, rather than naming it after a variety that it likely isn't. Naming it also suggests it is stabilized, when I'd likely consider this an F1 at this point. If you keep growing it and stabilize it, then I think you can consider it your creation and you should give it whatever name you like.

+1 to what CD said👆👆

Thanks for everyone's insight, they are now turning an orange-red colour so I'm assuming they'll end up red.
Was a pretty cool transition though, from a deep purple to a brownish green to orange-red. Will continue to grow over the next number of seasons.

Attachments

• P_20230302_115059.jpg
    P_20230302_115059.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 86
  • P_20230302_115111.jpg
    P_20230302_115111.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 77
  • P_20230303_121922.jpg
    P_20230303_121922.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Just an update if anyone's interested, turned out red, extremely hot, violent stinging burn on the tongue and back of the throat (burn hung around for 5-10 mins), honestly wasn't pleasant. I'd probably put the heat somewhere between a ghost and scorpion but unrelenting. Fair bit of placenta and very few seeds. Definitely hotter than what a purple tiger should be.

Attachments

• P_20230307_190541.jpg
    P_20230307_190541.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 77
  • P_20230307_192720.jpg
    P_20230307_192720.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Bought this as a very small plant, was tagged as purple tiger, but from looking online I'm pretty sure it's something else, from what I've seen the purple tigers leaves should have a lot of white on them and the pod shape is different. It has no flowers at the moment so I can't recall exactly what colour they were. The pods started off a deep purple but are now turning green so not sure what colour they'll end up as. Anyway any thoughts would be welcomed.
Chili plants do not have an official registry like Hemerocallis or other plants. What that means is that the grower/hybridizer is free to name his/her creation any name they want without regard to any registration rules. This may mean that some names repeat themselves as well. For example, I could name a C. annuum variety "White Knight" and another person may have named a C. chinense variety "White Knight" there simply is not a registry at this time to prevent such a thing from happening.

When you want to know something about a particular purchase, it is always best to consider asking the person from whom you made the purchase as there are a fair number of Jalapeno varieties out there for instance. Which one do you have? You could have a Jedi Jalapeno, Emerald Fire Jalapeno, Black Magic Jalapeno, etc. The list could go on for a very long time. Now, some vendors and hybridizers alike will simply name any off phenotype what they like and again, there is no registry to say they shouldn't or can't. It truly is the wild west where it concerns pepper names, renames, and just plain faking the funk as if you were actually the one putting pollen to stigma. That is why I like some people like Matthew Arthur who openly admits that insects made his Wartryx cross and the UFO was indeed a found marvel rather than an intended marvel. UFO for those interested was found at Terra Time and Tide Nursery in Jacksonville, Florida.

Slap whatever name you want at this point if you are really unsure and join the ranks of the many pioneers who have come before you in the great renaming of unknowns.

Back