• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Any Other Urban Growers With Human Pests?

I have a very honorable poacher. Seems to only be taking one pepper here and there, but since I only grew 20 it's noticable. I am trying to be positive about it... and be happy someone is sharing in my hard work and love of chiles...but it is a bit annoying when you were waiting for pods to ripen and come out to find one missing.

Anyone else experience this? Any strategies??

Yeah, not sure how I'd feel....Well OK, I'll be honest I'd be upset. I have wondered sometimes about poachers here at my house as some are potted in front of my place. You put a lot of time into growing, it sucks that someone is snatching them. I bet you could come up with a very creatively persuasive note to stick on it.

This thinking also had me wondering about legal issues if a neighborhood kid came into my yard grabbed a super hot and burned himself ----- Would I be liable?

-

All my peppers are in my backyard which is fenced in so its not an issue. But I would not be a happy camper if we had no fences and my peppers were missing. Ask me and I would most likely be more than happy to share some but don't take them.

Verdade said:
Yeah, not sure how I'd feel....Well OK, I'll be honest I'd be upset. I have wondered sometimes about poachers here at my house as some are potted in front of my place. You put a lot of time into growing, it sucks that someone is snatching them. I bet you could come up with a very creatively persuasive note to stick on it.

This thinking also had me wondering about legal issues if a neighborhood kid came into my yard grabbed a super hot and burned himself ----- Would I be liable?

-
I highly doubt you would be liable for someone taking a pepper and eating it.

SavinaRed said:
All my peppers are in my backyard which is fenced in so its not an issue. But I would not be a happy camper if we had no fences and my peppers were missing. Ask me and I would most likely be more than happy to share some but don't take them.

You are liable if a kid jumps in your unfenced pool and drowns. I can see whereas a super hot should not be planted where kids stroll through. Kids will be kids and the super hots are colorful and tempting. Most parents would be like, serves you right. But then you also have the bad parents that want to blame everyone else.

SavinaRed said:

Tell that to the guy that shot and killed a robber possessing a weapon in his own home and is now being charged with murder and the robbers family is suing him for wrongful death. This world is getting to f%($!d up.

Spicytigger said:

Tell that to the guy that shot and killed a robber possessing a weapon in his own home and is now being charged with murder and the robbers family is suing him for wrongful death. This world is getting to f%($!d up.
agreed give me the good old days up until the 60's. its gone downhill every since then.

Here in miami, i'm one of those asshole. But i only poach mangos when it's mango season, and if it's hanging off the side of the curb...well it's up for grabs, literally. However, Iguanas eat my pods, so they are like your pesky kids. So, I "take care" of them. But since you can't take care of your problem like I do, I'd suggest getting an electrified "scat mat" for pets and putting it on the walkway to your plants. Hopefully they run into it and learn their lesson ;) I don't condone any of my own advice haha

I'd be pissed. Theft is theft, no matter how small. I am a generous person and if my neighbor asked, I would gladly share. So, yeah...

I kept two plants and gave away most of my ghost pepper seedlings. My human pests killed one of them while I was looking out the window. Indoor grow lights (the cat owns the window territories) just aren't the same as outdoor growing.

It would be weird to have to put up a sign saying please use gloves when stealing peppers.

Back