• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

any recommendations for a commercial air pump

Hi all. Anyone have any first hand knowledge and recommendations for a commercial aquarium air pump to run several hydro systems. I've seen a couple, Active Aqua and Active Air by Hydrofarm. I'm looking for a unit that's quiet, dependable and has a good reputation for their quality. Any help would be great. Thanks.

i've always been partial to my aquarium experience with eheim products. if you can find some, i'd go for those. replaceable parts, german made. quiet. nothing like it.

You can definitely get better quality, but active aqua will work fine. I have the 8 port and it's been outside running for over a year w/ no problems. It's good for the price and I like that it includes an adjustment knob.

the alita air pumps are supposed to be great if not the best? they are pricey however.
the company that builds the undercurrent system uses these pumps.
they also sell, rebuild kits for like 10 bucks.

oh yea, i think the same design is sold under the 'Danner' name as well.

If you haven't bought one yet, I like this model. 950 GPH, $52. I bought a 12-port splitter and even ran splitters off of those. At one time, I had 28 buckets running.

Used it 24/7 for over a year and only once did it shut off. Due to an idiotic weather forecaster who could not have been more wrong, instead of a cloudy day with temps in the mid-40s, it turned into a very sunny day with temps in the low 60s. My GH was 135 when I got home. The pump shut down, probably as a precaution, but once the temps cooled, it worked again.

Mike

If you haven't bought one yet, I like this model. 950 GPH, $52. I bought a 12-port splitter and even ran splitters off of those. At one time, I had 28 buckets running.

Used it 24/7 for over a year and only once did it shut off. Due to an idiotic weather forecaster who could not have been more wrong, instead of a cloudy day with temps in the mid-40s, it turned into a very sunny day with temps in the low 60s. My GH was 135 when I got home. The pump shut down, probably as a precaution, but once the temps cooled, it worked again.

Mike

I have another branded version of that pump, it works great as a heater/airpump, but is loud as hell.
i built my aero system because i was sick of listening to that pump.

if you want a "man" sized pump, why not pick up a regenerative blower haha...
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GAST-REGENAIR-1-3-HP-REGENERATIVE-BLOWER-R2303A-/350394366267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519521b93b
ive seen people use these pumps for aquaponics setups that took up their entire back yards.

I have another branded version of that pump, it works great as a heater/airpump, but is loud as hell.
i built my aero system because i was sick of listening to that pump.
Must be somewhat different - the air bubbles make more noise than the pump and the heat is next to nothing.

Mike

Must be somewhat different - the air bubbles make more noise than the pump and the heat is next to nothing.

Mike

i had a 55watt model. you say yours is quieter than the bubbles? do you use air diffuser stones? i know when i took off the stones it got even louder, it seemed like the motor noise was even sent through the hoses when the diffusers were removed.
and you say it put out no heat? damn that suprises me. mine was like 120 degrees. maby they ARE differnt, i had just assumed they were all from the same Chinese OEM or what have you as ive seen identical pumps sold under at least 5 different names.

don't get me wrong, it worked like a champ never even a hint of it failing, but i could hear the thing 2 rooms away.

i had a 55watt model. you say yours is quieter than the bubbles? do you use air diffuser stones? i know when i took off the stones it got even louder, it seemed like the motor noise was even sent through the hoses when the diffusers were removed.
and you say it put out no heat? damn that suprises me. mine was like 120 degrees. maby they ARE differnt, i had just assumed they were all from the same Chinese OEM or what have you as ive seen identical pumps sold under at least 5 different names.

don't get me wrong, it worked like a champ never even a hint of it failing, but i could hear the thing 2 rooms away.

I quit using stones a few years ago when a couple of them got clogged or for some other reason quit working. I use a soaker hose or recently, split the air hose into two outlets and stuck a mister head in each one.

They are different - mine uses only 35 watts of power!

Mike

Well I decided to buy the Alita AL40. They seem to be quite reliable and replacement parts are readily available. A little more money than I wanted but I'm hoping that it will last many years to come. I do appreciate everyones input and did look into all pumps that were mentioned. Thanks again, Mike.

I quit using stones a few years ago when a couple of them got clogged or for some other reason quit working. I use a soaker hose or recently, split the air hose into two outlets and stuck a mister head in each one.

They are different - mine uses only 35 watts of power!

Mike

don't buy the 55watt models then i guess, although i have my doubts.

anyway you can actually regenerate those air stones if you want to, you just need to go to a pool store and buy some hydrochloric acid, i think they sell it at 36% concentrate, its also called muriatic acid. mix it into an equal part of water(acid into water), and drop the stone in there for like 30 seconds, then drop it into a glass of clean water... if the stone isnt working yet just repeat as necessary. ive done this probably half a dozen times with all my stones, i suspect you can do this like 10 times atleast beffore really damaging them.

Back