• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any Recommendations On Must Grow, Low To Mid Heat Peppers?

I've had a blast growing a small variety of superhots last season, but this year, I'd like to find some varieties that are a bit more usable in the kitchen.
I really enjoyed the few Carolina Reapers I harvested, but unfortunately most of my family members and friends, didn't quite like it as much as I did.

So this year, while growing a couple superhot varieties for myself, I'd like to grow more low to mid heat peppers. For sauces, dried flakes, powders, Jam, etc... 
I'm not at the point yet, where I can snack on some superhots, but the Aji Pineapples I grew last season, were delicious to munch on a few now and then.

I'm starting to round up all the varieties of peppers that I might like, from my local pepper seed retailer, Atlantic Pepper Seeds.

So far, the contenders are : 

• Edes Fuszer Paprika Pepper
• Lemon Drop Yellow
• Monster Yellow Bell Pepper Seeds
• Numex Big Jim
• Tabasco
• Purple UFO
• Orange Cayenne
• Black Pearl
• APS Cayenne Sweet Pepper
• Aji Ahuachapáu
• Aji Fantasy Red
• Aji Amarillo
• Aji Benito

I'm sure I still have room for a few more, so I'd appreciate any recommendations you fellow pepper-heads may recommend. 
Thanks in advance!  :dance: 

amfarms17 said:
Shashito, go back to basics

Yeah I forgot shishito's.  We had 4 plants last year and they produced well.  Loved them sautéed in a little olive oil.

Tybo said:
You might add Sugar Rush Peach.  Very good pepper.
Thanks for the Recommendation. Looks like a really solid choice. + They have it in stock!

amfarms17 said:
Shashito, go back to basics
I had them in my cart, but I was on the line. I'll definitely reconsider them. Looks like they would be great roasted or grilled with a bit of Salt & Pepper, or Soya sauce.

Ruid said:
Bahamian Goat. People knew what this post would say before they even clicked on this thread.

Make sure the Chocolate Scotch Bonnet is in there too.
Hahah! I'm sure there's a couple similar posts floating around.  :rolleyes:
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into the Bahamian goat. Looks up there in the capsaicin levels, but I don't mind the heat as long as it tastes good. 

I'll add the Chocolate Scotch Bonnet to my list for next year. I've got some Yellow Scotch Bonnet, and Chocolate Habanero seeds I haven't had the chance to try yet.

I'd add in some Jalapenos, Cubanelles and Tekne Dolmasi.  Lots of kitchen uses for those.

Antep Aci Dolma - Size and sweetness similar to a red Bell pepper but with Jalapeno level heat.
Brazilian Starfish - Very sweet and fruity peppers with an interesting shape.
Fish Pepper - Cool looking variegated plants. Pretty mild and fairly sweet tasting peppers.
NuMex Suave habs - Habanero taste with very little heat.

Besides sauces and other processing, how else would you like to use peppers?  On the grill, stuffed with cheese or meat?  Maybe sauteed in olive oil with salt and pepper for snacking out on the deck with a beer or glass of white wine?  I definitely suggest figuring out how you might use them first and then choosing varieties that fit that use, since size of the pepper, wall thickness, etc. are just as important as taste for some uses.  This suggestion is based on my experience last year when I didn't do a good job of choosing peppers that I had a plan for and grew a bunch of peppers that were fun to grow, tasty enough, but I just didn't find that useful. 

So this year I'm trying to make sure I know how I might use them before I put them on the grow list.  For instance, I love Anaheim types, AKA hatch peppers, (like Big Jim in your list up top) roasted on the grill and eat a lot that way on their own, on a burger or sandwich or chopped up on top of pasta, etc.  I didn't have enough of them last year with 2 plants so this year I'm growing six, including trialing several different varieties, some hotter than jalapeno.  But I like grilled or sauteed sweet peppers too, so I'm growing Carmen, Elephant Ear, Pepperone di Senise, Tekne Dolmasi, etc. for that use. And of course I need sweet banana and some hot banana types to make pickled pepper rings.  Then I'm trying Biquinos for pickling as well.  And of course I need a Jalapeno or 2 (I'm growing Zapotec and Lemon Spice) for salsa, more pickling, fresh on a sandwich, in beans, etc.  And poblanos, of course, to grill, stuff and roast - similar uses as Anaheims for me, but different flavor, look and texture.  And then a couple super hots, some Aji Pineapple and Colorado, Rehza and a few others for sauces and powders.  And I'll have shishitos, padrons and sigaretta di Bergamo to toss in the sautee pan whole and have with wine on the deck.  I can't wait for summer!

Harry_Dangler said:
I'd add in some Jalapenos, Cubanelles and Tekne Dolmasi.  Lots of kitchen uses for those.
I can't find the Tekne Dolmasi, but the Cubanelles have been added to the list. My parents grow a good amount of Jalapeno's for salsa, so I usually get my fill of Jalapenos from them, haha.

Ruid said:
For a low heat pepper, I IMPLORE you to grow Bishop's Crowns. They deserve to be as popular as the jalapeno.
I had forgotten about that one, added to the list!

BlackFatalii said:
Antep Aci Dolma - Size and sweetness similar to a red Bell pepper but with Jalapeno level heat.
Brazilian Starfish - Very sweet and fruity peppers with an interesting shape.
Fish Pepper - Cool looking variegated plants. Pretty mild and fairly sweet tasting peppers.
NuMex Suave habs - Habanero taste with very little heat.
Thanks for the recommendations, the Brazilian Starfish and Suave habs, have been added. 

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
Serrano and Fresno!   :cheers:
I've got some purple Serrano seeds from last season, but I'll look into the Fresno's. Cheers!

zendog said:
Besides sauces and other processing, how else would you like to use peppers?  On the grill, stuffed with cheese or meat?  Maybe sauteed in olive oil with salt and pepper for snacking out on the deck with a beer or glass of white wine?  I definitely suggest figuring out how you might use them first and then choosing varieties that fit that use, since size of the pepper, wall thickness, etc. are just as important as taste for some uses.  This suggestion is based on my experience last year when I didn't do a good job of choosing peppers that I had a plan for and grew a bunch of peppers that were fun to grow, tasty enough, but I just didn't find that useful. 

So this year I'm trying to make sure I know how I might use them before I put them on the grow list.  For instance, I love Anaheim types, AKA hatch peppers, (like Big Jim in your list up top) roasted on the grill and eat a lot that way on their own, on a burger or sandwich or chopped up on top of pasta, etc.  I didn't have enough of them last year with 2 plants so this year I'm growing six, including trialing several different varieties, some hotter than jalapeno.  But I like grilled or sauteed sweet peppers too, so I'm growing Carmen, Elephant Ear, Pepperone di Senise, Tekne Dolmasi, etc. for that use. And of course I need sweet banana and some hot banana types to make pickled pepper rings.  Then I'm trying Biquinos for pickling as well.  And of course I need a Jalapeno or 2 (I'm growing Zapotec and Lemon Spice) for salsa, more pickling, fresh on a sandwich, in beans, etc.  And poblanos, of course, to grill, stuff and roast - similar uses as Anaheims for me, but different flavor, look and texture.  And then a couple super hots, some Aji Pineapple and Colorado, Rehza and a few others for sauces and powders.  And I'll have shishitos, padrons and sigaretta di Bergamo to toss in the sautee pan whole and have with wine on the deck.  I can't wait for summer!
Thanks for the thought out reply. Seems we may be in a similar boat. You're making me drool and anxiously waiting for summer, haha.

I like to use my Weber Kettle a good bit, so most of my fresh pepper cooking will be done on that. Either for charring, stuffed peppers, or smoking peppers for powder. 
I completely disregarded the idea of pickling peppers, so Banana peppers have been added. I'll do some more reading on some of the other varieties you mentioned. 

Looks like I may have a pretty full grow tent until they're ready to go outside.  :surprised:

Here's the non Superhots I'm growing in 2020.   All are "usable" in the kitchen.  There are so many other varieties ..... but we've reached capacity for this year  :rolleyes: .
Aji Amarillo Grande
Aji Cachucha
Aji Fantasy
Aji Panca Lima
Antep Aci Dolma
Biquinho Iracema
Biquinho Yellow
Bonda Ma Jacques
Cabaca Peach
Cabaco Roxa
CAP 455
Cheiro do Norte
Chervena Chuska
Chilhuacle Negro
Clavo Peach
Cubanelle Long Tall Sally
Cyklon
Czech Black
Dedo de Moca Red
Doe Hill
Dolce de Minervino
Dong Xuan Market
Fish
Giant Sweet Devil's Horn
Halaby
Haskorea
Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno NuMex Lemon Spice
Jalapeno Zapotec
Jimmy Nardello
Kashmiri Mirch (2 different phenos)
New Mexico Hatch Mild
NuMex Heritage Big Jim
Palmyra
Paridiscom Alaku Sarga Szentes
Pimenta Diomar
Poblano
Puerto Rican Yellow
Scotch Bonnet Beth Boyd
Scotch Bonnet Freeport Orange
Scotch Bonnet Saraga
Serrano Tampiqueno
Shishito
Tekne Dolmasi
Thai Hot
Thai Large Orange
Urfa Biber

Inoks said:
Id say aji fantasy!
Great to hear! I just ordered my seeds earlier, and Aji Fantasy reds had made it on the list. Can't wait to try.

Harry_Dangler said:
Here's the non Superhots I'm growing in 2020.   All are "usable" in the kitchen.  There are so many other varieties ..... but we've reached capacity for this year  :rolleyes: .
Aji Amarillo Grande
Aji Cachucha
Aji Fantasy
Aji Panca Lima
Antep Aci Dolma
Biquinho Iracema
Biquinho Yellow
Bonda Ma Jacques
Cabaca Peach
Cabaco Roxa
CAP 455
Cheiro do Norte
Chervena Chuska
Chilhuacle Negro
Clavo Peach
Cubanelle Long Tall Sally
Cyklon
Czech Black
Dedo de Moca Red
Doe Hill
Dolce de Minervino
Dong Xuan Market
Fish
Giant Sweet Devil's Horn
Halaby
Haskorea
Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno NuMex Lemon Spice
Jalapeno Zapotec
Jimmy Nardello
Kashmiri Mirch (2 different phenos)
New Mexico Hatch Mild
NuMex Heritage Big Jim
Palmyra
Paridiscom Alaku Sarga Szentes
Pimenta Diomar
Poblano
Puerto Rican Yellow
Scotch Bonnet Beth Boyd
Scotch Bonnet Freeport Orange
Scotch Bonnet Saraga
Serrano Tampiqueno
Shishito
Tekne Dolmasi
Thai Hot
Thai Large Orange
Urfa Biber
Quite a nice long list of varieties, you've got there. I'm glad to see that I'll be growing a few that you have listed. So many more I'd love to try, but I've only got a 2.5'x5' tent. Being only able to put them outside in late May, means I may have to accommodate for some big plants, if I plan on starting them now.
Here's a list of what I'll be growing for 2020. 
‣Bishops Crown
‣Brazilian Starfish
‣Cubanelle
‣Edes Fuszer Paprika 
‣Monster Yellow Bell
‣Numex Suave Orange Hab
‣Numex Big Jim
‣Japanese Shishito
‣MOA Red Scotch Bonnet 
‣Tabasco
‣Hawk's Claw
‣Sugar Rush Peach
Aji Ahuachapáu
‣Aji Fantasy Red
‣Aji Amarillo 
‣Aji Benito
‣Yellow Scotch Brains
‣Devils Tongue Peach
‣Lemon Drop(Sent by Bou)
‣Peppapeach(Sent by Bou)
‣Lightning Chocolate Hab
‣White Fatalii
‣Carolina Reaper from PuckerButt
‣7 Pot Borg 9 Chocolate

Thank you to everyone for the recommendations, really helped me make up my mind. Work performance was almost starting to decline, thinking about peppers all day, haha.
Thanks to Bou for the seeds he sent me. Greatly appreciate this pepper community. 

Will be posting a 2020 Growlog very soon.

Very nice list.  Good luck to you.  Do you have a Glog?  

Harry_Dangler said:
Very nice list.  Good luck to you.  Do you have a Glog?  
Thank you! Best of luck to your grow this year, as well.
I haven't started one for 2020 yet. All I've done so far is soak some rockwool cubes in Ph balanced water, and planted a couple of each Chocolate Habs, White Fatalii's, and Reaper seeds. Here's my 2019 grow log. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71145-krimbless-2019-grow-log/#entry1622435

I may have went a bit too over my head, but I've learned lots from my own mistakes, r/HotPeppers, and this wonderful gem of a forum.
I'll have to look if you have one. I never mind taking some time to look at other's pepper grows.

Krimble said:
Thank you to everyone for the recommendations, really helped me make up my mind. Work performance was almost starting to decline, thinking about peppers all day, haha.
Thanks to Bou for the seeds he sent me. Greatly appreciate this pepper community. 

Rock on dude, hopefully they'll get to you in great shape! With too many seeds in hands its better to share than to expand my already ever expanding garden again...! 

Back