• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Any Recommendations On Must Grow, Low To Mid Heat Peppers?

I enjoyed the fish pepper. It had good taste and somewhat mild heat. However it took longer than 80 days to complete in my zone 3a climate. My cold nights were not kind to the chocolate habs which was a bummer considering how vigorous they were as starts in the house. Maybe you have a green house or poly tunnel? 

Zippy said:
I enjoyed the fish pepper. It had good taste and somewhat mild heat. However it took longer than 80 days to complete in my zone 3a climate. My cold nights were not kind to the chocolate habs which was a bummer considering how vigorous they were as starts in the house. Maybe you have a green house or poly tunnel? 
Fortunately, I'm in zone 6a. When did you start the chocolate habs? Mine have germinated almost a week ago. I've got a couple Chocolate Hab seedlings, Reaper seedlings, and a Fatalii White.
I'm thinking a small greenhouse may be necessary to help the peppers ripen during the fall. 

I started them at the end of January. The problem is they are very aggressive, while anything on ghost genetics is slow to start off. I ended up with a huge plant and we had a late spring which pushed the last weekend in May frost day out to till the 12th of June. Then every month had a few cold nights. All the annuum varieties pulled through. The choc. habs. stressed every time we had a cold night. If you're going to decide what to put in a green house, put them in. 

I am new to pepper growing and last season was a mixed bag for me, but two pepper plants that performed great even for me were Thai Giant and a sweet pepper called Carmen. They did very well in Zone 5b even though it was cold and raining like a MONSTER. I'm growing Carmen and Thai Giant again this season from seeds I saved, I feel they will be a staple for me! 

I've grown Carmen several times and it is a great pepper, but it is a F1 hybrid so just be prepared that your plants/peppers this year may not be exactly like the one's you had last year.  

Cheesehead said:
I am new to pepper growing and last season was a mixed bag for me, but two pepper plants that performed great even for me were Thai Giant and a sweet pepper called Carmen. They did very well in Zone 5b even though it was cold and raining like a MONSTER. I'm growing Carmen and Thai Giant again this season from seeds I saved, I feel they will be a staple for me! 

Although 95% of what we grow are super hots, we also make sure each year that we have a half-dozen plants each of Pepperoncini, Shishito, Padron, and Jalapenos.   We eat a ton of pickled Pepperoncini and have friends and relatives who count on a quart of them at Christmas.   Man, are those awesome chopped-up on Pepperoni pizza.   I'd also add Trinidad Perfume, Habanada, and Aji Dulce Margariteno to make sure you've got a great tasting options for the low-heat-no-heat folks you may know.

SCARBO

Oh, and make sure you add Cobra, too.   What an awesome low-heat pepper that's terrific fresh and dries beautifully for wreaths.  They get as long as Thunder Mountain Longhorn.   I had quite a few that were over 12-inches.

Note:  This is not 'Black Cobra' which is commonly available.   I got my seeds on Etsy from a grower in Serbia.   I believe they're listed as Cobra Chilli.

SCARBO

Cobra1a.jpg

Cobra2a.jpg

Cobra3a.jpg

PA353. It is an annuum that looks as good as it tastes.
https://www.chileplants.com/search.aspx?SearchName=PA+353+RED+PEPPER+PLANTS&ProductCode=CHI353&SizeID=&SearchMode=simple&LengthID=&WidthID=&HeightID=&OrientationID=&FoliageID=&FleshID=&UseID=&Color=&Location=&Keyword=&HeatID=&TypeID=&DeterminancyID=&CategoryID=&SeasonID=&NewProduct=&Letter=&SearchButton=Pressed&pagesize=20
CGN21500 a chinense but it is medium heat. Actually tastes good fresh unlike most of them. Really beautiful plant too. Justin at Whitehotpeppers.com has these in stock. I just checked.
I'll echo the others saying Bahamian Goat is really really fantastic just be careful where you buy seeds. You want real ones.
Queen Laurie is a good C. baccatum so if you like the Brazilian Starfish then you are likely to enjoy this one as it is good, crunchy and tasty.
Lots of good ones listed so far. Just thought I'd add a few good tasting ones.
I'm an outlier who thinks anything hotter than Scotch Bonnets are only good for powder so trust me none of these are face melters.
Have you tried growing any baccatum up there where you are?
I bet if you got an early start they might do pretty well.
:cheers:

Back