• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Any tips on transplanting?

Hey, new here and I have a question on transplanting my Habanero plants.

I starting growing them a while ago and I transplanted 4 of them about a month ago but they really havent grown.

Now I have 4 others still in the original pot (all together) and they have completely taken it over. I'd say they are about 2 feet tall and they are starting to flower.

Any tips on transplanting plants this big or is not a good idea at this point?

The only thing I know is After transplant just Keep em with Shade and lots of Water I Ussually Give them a Foliar spray of Fish Fert.

Loosen the root ball, I transplant into potting soil/regular soil out of the hole---preferably the same one used in the pot.50/50 mix.
Soak the snot out of them once,right after planting them.
Shade them until they stop being droopy.
Pray.

Hard to say, depends on what went wrong with those transplanted. Were the roots disturbed too much? Too much fertilizer added? Transplanted into soil that compacts too much? Overwatered? Those are just a few random thoughts, it would be good to have sprout date, and current pictures.

Are you planning on tossing them out at the end of this season or bringing them inside for overwintering, and if so do you have a grow area with sufficient light that they'll stay leafy, or can they remain outside all winter long?

Hard to say, depends on what went wrong with those transplanted. Were the roots disturbed too much? Too much fertilizer added? Transplanted into soil that compacts too much? Overwatered? Those are just a few random thoughts, it would be good to have sprout date, and current pictures.

Are you planning on tossing them out at the end of this season or bringing them inside for overwintering, and if so do you have a grow area with sufficient light that they'll stay leafy, or can they remain outside all winter long?

Don't have the sprout date unfortunately but I can provide current pictures.

I don't have anywhere sufficient inside to grow them so they will be have to be tossed. Not sure how the winter here will affect them but was hoping they will hold out until the peppers have bloomed.

I think they problem of those transplanted may be the soil they were in is much richer than what they were transplanted in to. Lesson Learned I suppose.

Alright if someone would be so kind as to tell a newb how to upload pics I would greatly appreciate it. Can't figure out this Gallery for the life of me.

^ Well you can overwinter without growth, you can have them go dormant by putting them somewhere that won't get close to freezing and water them a little bit every 2 or 3 weeks so they don't die (but will look dead-ish). They'll lose leaves and maybe some limb tips but trimmed back they may wake up when it gets warm enough and you set them back outside next spring.

I suppose soil can be too rich but it's difficult to do unless you added quite a lot of compost or added fertilizer (or it came that way). Upload pics to a web file sharing site then get the link from there and post it using the picture icon near the middle above the text post pane.

Transplanting - Don't overthink it. Go to a substantially larger container. Use a good mix. Don't drench with fertilizer for a little while. Water in well as mentioned above. If your plant is clearly rootbound when you pull it out of the first container, break it apart a little bit but don't overdo that either.

Good luck!
Mike
Visit us Online at: www.knot2worry.us

Since you have all 4 plants in one container and they are starting to bloom -- best option is probably to transplant them all together into a larger pot (trying to get the roots apart to transplant into separate pots will disturb the roots too much as they are probably very tangled by now and you will probably set them back to much for it to be of any help if you try ) -- so if you are transplanting them I would suggest doing so all together and try to not disturb the roots -- or Just leave them be - leaving them will probably get less growth but when transplanting now there is a good chance they may drop the flowers anyway if the roots are disturbed too much while transplanting and depending on how much season you have left may not recover in time to get more flowers set.

Here let's see if this works.

7917706142_5fc5d777d6_o.jpg

7917706008_716dba7e01_o.jpg

Thanks for the replies gonna have to give it some thought but I may just leave them as is. As for the trasnplanted ones I think it may be to late for them. They are not really growing and it's getting late in the season.

I thought you meant transplanted into larger pots.

I am now suspecting they aren't getting enough direct sunlight, though if they had reached full size they would be way too close to the borders where they are. Otherwise I don't know how cold it gets there, you might be able to get away with turning a cardbox box upside down over them on nights it frosts and at least extend their growing season a few weeks if not all winter, or till they get too big for any box you have.

Loosen up the rootball, water thoroughly, and definitely transplant in evening so they can get themselves together before the sun beats upon them again. Potting up into bigger pots several times seems to work better than just planting seeds in a huge pot. Molesting those roots when transplanting seems to be key.

Welcome to the site!
You can always transplant to a different location or move into a bigger pot. You'll need to get as much of the root ball intact. I generally loosen the bottom soil where the feeder roots are and gently separating and spreading them out ,... repot with a mix of original soil and new soil to thwart off any chance of transplant shock. A diluted drenching of Kelp of a root stimulator mixed with water will also perk up the plant. Try not to transplant during full mid day sun. Early morning or even better early evening works out the best. Take your time and be careful.........those plants are your babies...
Goode luck with your ventures

Greg

Back