anybody doing upside down grow?

a few years ago i had really good amount of banana peppers and jalapeno  in 2 liter bottles with the very bottom cut off  and plant sticking threw the mouth piece and strung off the edge of my back screen porch all down one side had  was thinking of trying a few peppers again like that

i have a gypsy, 2 bells, and a corno di torro all growing in topsy turvy's. they seem to be doing pretty damn decent just curious how the would be doing if they were in the ground tho :) 

Had a cajun belle growing in a turvy thing, it grew decent but then I noticed it started growing itself in toward the base of the plant so took it o ut couple days agi

i was gunna use 2 liter soda bottles but i found the tomatoe topsy turvy at biglots for 1.50 a piece so i grabbed 2 of them  , they do glow down a little then try to curve and turn upright  some people tie a light bolt or fishing weight to a string to make it grow down more

I've got 5 of those topsy turvy planters, some habs, tepins, thais, a douglah and a tomato. They seem to do just fine.

PROS:
Small and easy.
Somewhat decorative - I've got them in front of my house and people like them. They look like a pepper bush on a string.

CONS:
When you water them, the water spills out the side holes instead of drenching through to the bottom so you have to keep pouring and pouring, eventually washing out unused side holes. I got smarter and blocked them off from the inside on my 4th planter.

They need a lot of nutrients. Not much space for roots and they flush out easy.

Pain in the ass to carefully transplant the seedlings into the holes without killing them.

I wasn't planning on doing them again next year but the neighbors liked them so much they might become an annual novelty at my house. I just tell them to pick whatever they want. The tomato planter on the other hand went berserk and is throwing out more tomatoes than the neighbors can pick.

well i had a thai in one and a habanero in the other    the thai was in 100% mushroom compost the other was bottom half soil peat moss top half mushroom compost.. the Habanero is still alive  been about a month in there its alive and green but not getting much bigger yet  the thai is on its last leg (or leaf as they all fell off)  when i water that one it lets out brown rusty color water from the mushroom dirt it was leaking on the plant and got it all msuhy and just got worse n worse  the little foam thing you stick the root thru is all brown looking    seems the soil in the other one filters it out cus it drips clean and is healthy , oh well i got more

I Have the Topsy Turvy Tree I used Three slots for some Big Bomb peppers. I used some really good soil with guano and fish poop and all sorts of other stuff. The peppers loved the soil, and are budding alot, I have yet to see any flower pedals but Can't wait to see how many peppers they will produce. I am also growing some of the same plants in a pot under some shade from a nearby tree and they are not budding as much as one of my plants in the Topsy Turvy.

Back