• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anybody else growing cannabis?

Uncle Eckley

Extreme Member
We've had legal homegrow in Virginia since the summer and I've been having a blast. I run a little 36x20x63 tent and have been able to provide a modest abundance for myself and some family. Just switched from a three-plant staggered autoflower cycle with individual reservoirs to one big reservoir so I can run autos or photos.
Anybody else post your rig?

20211222_210225.jpg

Last edited:
NL has grown almost to the top of the tent. I may have to move this one outside to finish.

I also found I've lost a part of the circuit the tent is on - it was dark and quiet this afternoon when it shouldn't have been. Now I get to trace the damn fault. Dammit. I've got the tent on an extension cord for now to an outlet further upstream that still works. Ugh, I hate electrical work.

Found and fixed my electrical fault. What a PIA.. NL went outside when I put the tent back together, just too big to put back in there. So LLF is alone in the tent for now, and man, the myrcene is  strong with this one. Mangomaniacal.

20220514_173409.jpg

Flowers are bulking up, getting frostier.

20220514_173432.jpg

See the brown spots on the leaves? I used to see this on my outdoor Kratky(ish) chile peppers and never could work out what it was. I thought it was some sort of bacterial infection, but it never really seemed to bother the plant much in terms of growth or pod production. I finally understand what it is. Overwatering. Or, in hydro as here, the nutrient solution level is too high in the reservoir. So now I try to balance this damage against how often I really want to top up the reservoirs.

Last edited:
Found and fixed my electrical fault. What a PIA.. NL went outside when I put the tent back together, just too big to put back in there. So LLF is alone in the tent for now, and man, the myrcene is  strong with this one. Mangomaniacal.

20220514_173409.jpg

Flowers are bulking up, getting frostier.

20220514_173432.jpg

See the brown spots on the leaves? I used to see this on my outdoor Kratky(ish) chile peppers and never could work out what it was. I thought it was some sort of bacterial infection, but it never really seemed to bother the plant much in terms of growth or pod production. I finally understand what it is. Overwatering. Or, in hydro as here, the nutrient solution level is too high in the reservoir. So now I try to balance this damage against how often I really want to top up the reservoirs.

I've been "reading". Some leaves start spotting and turning brown as the trichomes age. Supposed to change potency too.

I did read that on the internet, you know...

I've been "reading". Some leaves start spotting and turning brown as the trichomes age. Supposed to change potency too.

I did read that on the internet, you know...

Yeah? Change how?

That's what I was hoping it was at first - nutrient theft from the leaves or something. But I've done it to younger plants, too. Kinda hard to believe the plant is "supposed" to show damage like that when all is well, too, if you think about it. :think:

Last edited:
Looking back through the pictures here, I'm reminded of how well these conical reservoirs have worked out. Highly recommend. They make head height a bit of a pain, but checking levels and performing water changes is super easy. There used to be a 7-gallon version available, but I bet it's even taller.. Hmm. There are plenty of vessels like this out there for sale, but most are absurdly expensive. I got these from Amazon for a reasonable price.

Kinda thinking now about designing my own version that's actually meant for this.. Anybody know anybody in rotomolding?

Last edited:
Yeah? Change how?

That's what I was hoping it was at first - nutrient theft from the leaves or something. But I've done it to younger plants, too. Kinda hard to believe the plant is "supposed" to show damage like that when all is well, too, if you think about it. :think:

What I read (nope, I don't save links. It's the internet, ya know) is that the ambering of trichomes change the high from body to mind...if I do happen to see it again I will post the link.

I believe I was searching "optimal harvest stage for cannabis" or something to that effect, on DuckDuckGo...

What I read (nope, I don't save links. It's the internet, ya know) is that the ambering of trichomes change the high from body to mind...if I do happen to see it again I will post the link.

I believe I was searching "optimal harvest stage for cannabis" or something to that effect, on DuckDuckGo...

Oh. Sure, peak THC is supposed to be at half cloudy, few amber. IME they do that with or without these brown spots on the leaves.

I've got an inexpensive gem loupe for inspecting trichomes. Works great.

Oh. Sure, peak THC is supposed to be at half cloudy, few amber. IME they do that with or without these brown spots on the leaves.

I've got an inexpensive gem loupe for inspecting trichomes. Works great.

Aye Cabrõn, but I'm getting a lot of peripheral leaves frosted at the edges with trichomes. I would NOT trim these, would I? I saw photos of plants where the ambering on the fan leaves around the buds themselves were as evident as the ambering of pistols...

Aye Cabrõn, but I'm getting a lot of peripheral leaves frosted at the edges with trichomes. I would NOT trim these, would I? I saw photos of plants where the ambering on the fan leaves around the buds themselves were as evident as the ambering of pistols...

Color change in the leaves toward the end of flowering is normal, especially if you flush before harvest. Trichomes all over the plant will amber as they age. But the spots I'm talking about are brown, thin, eventually crumbly dead areas in the leaf.

Trimming frosty leaves is a matter of preference. Some folks trim away everything, even the cakey sugar leaves poking out of the buds. Most don't bother with fans unless they're exceptionally frosty. It just depends what you're after and how much work you want to put into maximizing your yield. Our local dispensary (everything is vertically integrated here in Virginia for now) chops down entire plants and flash freezes them to knock off as many trichomes as possible, then they press it to create what they call, "live rosin." It's very flavorful, but I actually prefer flower press, which is far simpler to make. Maybe you're after a very manicured appearance, photo-quality buds for whatever reason. You might trim your buds down close for that. As they say, it's all good.

Started the flush on LLF today. New nutes for NL outside - even easier without having to catch the old stuff being eliminated. The spot where it's sitting keeps the reservoir in shade.. maybe I'll try another auto out there from start to finish when this one comes down.

Back