• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anybody grow coleus or know about it?

Growing a few to add to garden and keep in the house. I do have some questions about them if anyone knows about them. Thanks

I grew Coleus under grow lights last winter and moved them to indoor house and outdoor locations around my home. They really didn’t respond well to dim indoor lighting, but thrived under morning and early afternoon sun for me in my front yard. They died with the first frost.

I’m growing under lights that are raised up some to accommodate other plants. The coleus are leggy which I don’t mind but they are all just green. These are seedlings I know come from vibrant colorful plants. Am I missing something. They have a few set of true leaves.

16 hrs a day. Potted up. Do they need to become root bound some to get color? Etc…

I’m growing under lights that are raised up some to accommodate other plants. The coleus are leggy which I don’t mind but they are all just green. These are seedlings I know come from vibrant colorful plants. Am I missing something. They have a few set of true leaves.

16 hrs a day. Potted up. Do they need to become root bound some to get color? Etc…
I enjoy growing Coleus. Seedlings typically do not get their "true colors" until they have at least 4-6 sets of true leaves in my experience. Lighting can also have a significant effect on the color of the leaves. My Coleus have very vivid , bright colors when grown in my grow tent with a fancy, powerful LED grow light, where as when I put them outside in the shade, the colors of the new leaves are much more subdued (but often still beautiful). The same plant can appear very different under different light situations, it's a pretty cool phenomenon!

Back