• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anybody Growing Dragon Fruit?

JSKaiser

Banned
Just curious as to if anybody on here is growing this fruit? What are the different kinds available? I found some at a local vietnamese market, and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Im sure a fresh one has much more flavor.

Anybody know how to get all of those tiny little seeds out of the fruit to save for planting and such? A blender and some water maybe?

Thinking about getting some more and making something with it, but have no idea what to use it in. Super interesting fruit.

Heres the website for you

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/dragon/index.htm

You've got to be really patient if you're growing from seed. Most people grow from cuttings.

Too bad you're so far away;

DragonFruit.jpg

These are much bigger now. See if you can find cuttings; then you'll need a sturdy post about 5' high for the plant to climb an be supported. On top of the post should be a frame (also sturdy) about 1 meter x 1 meter sq. It (cuttings) grow quite fast. Cheers.

I agree with AjarnV, seedlings are very slow growing. We've got White, Red, Purple seedlings and just planted Pink could be a cross of white & red. All I do is take seeds out of the fruit and plant them. I get about a 90% out of seeds so not hard too grow in Thailand. But take about a month to look like a Pitaya plant.

Dont have to let em dry or anything? Im sure I can find somebody around here with a cutting of it. The market has about 5 different kinds it looks like. Red, White, and a pinkish, and a large one, and a darker colred one. Didnt get to see the inside of the last two as I didnt grab them today, but will have to check em out. They have a pretty unique flavor. Not too sweet, but definitely not bland or anything. Still trying to pinpoint it.

Thanks for the help guys. If anybody knows a place where I can get some seeds, or happen to have some good seeds, let me know. I know itll be a while under the starting lights, but I dont mind waiting. Ill put em in the corner next to something, and leave it there until its ready to be put into a pot. I was thinking of letting it run up the fence and putting some supports up along the way.

Dont have to let em dry or anything? Im sure I can find somebody around here with a cutting of it. The market has about 5 different kinds it looks like. Red, White, and a pinkish, and a large one, and a darker colred one. Didnt get to see the inside of the last two as I didnt grab them today, but will have to check em out. They have a pretty unique flavor. Not too sweet, but definitely not bland or anything. Still trying to pinpoint it.

Thanks for the help guys. If anybody knows a place where I can get some seeds, or happen to have some good seeds, let me know. I know itll be a while under the starting lights, but I dont mind waiting. Ill put em in the corner next to something, and leave it there until its ready to be put into a pot. I was thinking of letting it run up the fence and putting some supports up along the way.

If your fence is strong that would work. The plants can get pretty big. Cheers.

To get the seeds out, get a big bowl of water and mash the flesh with your hands.
Keep breaking up the little bits until the seeds have all come out.
The good seeds will all fall to the bottom, so what I do is pour out the water through a sieve to remove the flesh, stopping before the seeds move, fill it back up with water and repeat until you are left with just seeds. Then sieve them out and put on a tray to dry out, they will form a sort of mat which you can break up with your hands.
I think the best results would be from sowing fresh, but I am going to try next year with some old seed to see what happens.
good luck

Back