• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Anyone a KCBS member and or Judge?

I've a long time BBQ fan and although I haven't actually competed in anything outside a case of beer I watch the shows, attend the events, and i'm a member of a few forums. Well the old lady asked me hey why don't you be a judge of the event this year that we usually go to. Basically there are a few KCBS events that we go to every year and she thought I would be a good judge. I never really considered it until she mentioned it, but heck why not???

I read a little about how the process is and found out they are having a special judges class in SD this year for the Rosarito Q 2010 "International" event. Cost is less than $100 for the training and comes with a year KCBS membership. Is anyone here a member of KCBS and more importantly is anyone a certified judge? Just trying to get a feel of the process and the odds of actually being able to judge shows close to home.

I'm a member, competitor and a judge. Go to the class. You will enjoy it. Then once you register as a certified judge on the KCBS website, you will get more than enough invitations to judge close to home. I get postcards every week from small towns around me I've never heard of asking me to judge at their contest.

I've a long time BBQ fan and although I haven't actually competed in anything outside a case of beer I watch the shows, attend the events, and i'm a member of a few forums. Well the old lady asked me hey why don't you be a judge of the event this year that we usually go to. Basically there are a few KCBS events that we go to every year and she thought I would be a good judge. I never really considered it until she mentioned it, but heck why not???

I read a little about how the process is and found out they are having a special judges class in SD this year for the Rosarito Q 2010 "International" event. Cost is less than $100 for the training and comes with a year KCBS membership. Is anyone here a member of KCBS and more importantly is anyone a certified judge? Just trying to get a feel of the process and the odds of actually being able to judge shows close to home.

I'm a member, competitor and a judge. Go to the class. You will enjoy it. Then once you register as a certified judge on the KCBS website, you will get more than enough invitations to judge close to home. I get postcards every week from small towns around me I've never heard of asking me to judge at their contest.

Thanks for the tip. I'm registered for one of the few judging classes I was able to find within driving hours. I've been a huge BBQ fan for a LONG time, and attend the events etc, but never really thought about judging or competing until I attended an event and was tasting several competitors and I actually picked the first place in both brisket and pulled pork! I don't have the time to dedicate to compete, but judging shouldn't be that hard to squeeze in especially for free BBQ!

Back