• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone else growing battery acid Butch Ts?

So I finally got fruit off my Butch Ts that I have been coddling for 2 seasons now, and it appears that I have been blessed with the "battery acid" phenotype that was going around a couple seasons ago. Anyone else have this experience? I'm pretty bummed out that I spent this much time on two plants and the peppers taste like when you test the terminals of a 9V battery with your tounge.

Do other Butch Ts taste better? Before the tidal wave of heat hits that is.

Oh I got my seeds from some Austrailian Hippys, so I know they are legit.

The two more mild ButchT's I tried had a pretty good floral taste to them, the ButchT from Butch Taylor that I tried had more of a chemical taste to it and was much hotter! The hotter pods to me usually have more of a battery acid type of taste to them. It really just depends on the pods grown and the tasters taste buds really. The best source to get ButchT seeds from is the creator of the ButchT aka Butch Taylor btw :) Sorry you dont like your pods, I dont care for the battery acid taste either!

I wonder if that is just an individual perception. The same way some people like chocolate and others don't (wierdos >.>), because I ate one douglah and thought it was good but bland and flat tasting liek a milder flavored but hotter yellow 7 pod. Wheras others call them battery acid tasting as well, and then I have not ONCE gotten any hint of FRUIT or ANY SWEET at all in a hot pod hotter than a fresno and definately no superhot, but they smell 'fruity' i guess... sometimes.. People like bhuts.. TO me i feel like they are dipped in some chemical which luckily tends to lessen as they ripen but its still there.

Thanks for the insight.

I don't want to bother trying these again if the harsh taste is prevalent in the strain, as you imply it is. it's pretty hard to get them to produce where I live. I loved the challenge of growing them though, and the plant looks super badass too, just no bueno on the taste for me.

The two more mild ButchT's I tried had a pretty good floral taste to them, the ButchT from Butch Taylor that I tried had more of a chemical taste to it and was much hotter! The hotter pods to me usually have more of a battery acid type of taste to them. It really just depends on the pods grown and the tasters taste buds really. The best source to get ButchT seeds from is the creator of the ButchT aka Butch Taylor btw :) Sorry you dont like your pods, I dont care for the battery acid taste either!

Thanks for the insight.

I don't want to bother trying these again if the harsh taste is prevalent in the strain, as you imply it is. it's pretty hard to get them to produce where I live. I loved the challenge of growing them though, and the plant looks super badass too, just no bueno on the taste for me.

Maybe you should try a piece of the flesh rinsed off with no placenta or seed on it to see if its justthe capsaicin levels present making it taste like that... I know a bunch of sueprs have made me taste like i was eating some chemical or acid but none so bad that ive had to spit them out immediately. ALthough I have gagged but thats a combo of the not liking the flavor of some and the fact that I put a whole one on top of that in my mouth to make it worse. Chewing something you dont like for 30 seconds in a review is gross lol.... Its nice to find ones i do liek tho.

Oh and you shuold let one ripen fully on the plant, and then pick it and let it get soft so you can pinch it flat without it cracking and then try it.. but make sure its not rotten. they ten to be better tasting the softer they get imo

Thanks for the insight.

You're welcome! I recommend growing the yellow 7 pod if you want something quite hot that has excellent taste!

I wonder if that is just an individual perception. The same way some people like chocolate and others don't (wierdos >.>), because I ate one douglah and thought it was good but bland and flat tasting liek a milder flavored but hotter yellow 7 pod. Wheras others call them battery acid tasting as well, and then I have not ONCE gotten any hint of FRUIT or ANY SWEET at all in a hot pod hotter than a fresno and definately no superhot, but they smell 'fruity' i guess... sometimes.. People like bhuts.. TO me i feel like they are dipped in some chemical which luckily tends to lessen as they ripen but its still there.

Taste is definitely subjective, but there were posts about the butch T having a harsh acidic taste around for a while and then they just stopped. It took me 2 seasons to get fruit on my plants, so I was hoping all the while that my plants tasted good. As for fruity superhots, the red brain strain has a wicked fruity taste before the heat kicks in

Yeah, they taste terrible. They seem to have a more chemically taste to me. Not sure what battery acid taste like. Hot as hell though!

If you want a good tasting superhot (IMO and im kinda picky i think) I would get a dorset naga. They are almost identical in look tobhuts but tadte and smell liek yellow 7's to me... MIght just bethe ones i got but they werer great. Im gonna swap my bhut plants out for DN's this winter indoors and bonsai the bhuts

I would think that it could be do to a lot of different things, soil,temps,water quality,strain, your own taste. I am no expert but I am growing the Butch t strain of trinidad scorpion and mine have a very pleasant fruity taste before the heat sets in and you can't feel anything but fire. :hot:

I imagine the taste will be more to your liking if you roast them, the higher temperature caramelizes some of the sugar in the pod. Also are you letting them get completely ripe? I find most taste best only a few days before they start to rot, when they start to get a little soft.

Even so I'd really be bummed if it took 2 seasons just to get peppers from a plant and would focus more on growing annuums if I were in Canada.

In my opinion the real deal Butch T scorpion has always tasted like battery acid. Its only recently I've seen reviews of good tasting BTs. Check out reviewers who tried their "Butch T" and then tried Butch Ts grown by Butch himself

My Butch T's have a nice floral flavor and a fruity taste before the heat takes your breath away. An this is my first year growing them. I actually like their flavor bet than the red and chocolate bhuts I'm growing. An red bhuts use to be my fav go to pepper. Guess each his own. As I was fearing that battery acid taste as well after reading about it.

If you want a good tasting superhot (IMO and im kinda picky i think) I would get a dorset naga. They are almost identical in look tobhuts but tadte and smell liek yellow 7's to me... MIght just bethe ones i got but they werer great. Im gonna swap my bhut plants out for DN's this winter indoors and bonsai the bhuts

I'm growing the Dorset naga actually and I love it. The plant has been giving ripe peppers since may and it's producing huge numbers of pods, definitely a keeper in my cold climate

I imagine the taste will be more to your liking if you roast them, the higher temperature caramelizes some of the sugar in the pod. Also are you letting them get completely ripe? I find most taste best only a few days before they start to rot, when they start to get a little soft.

Even so I'd really be bummed if it took 2 seasons just to get peppers from a plant and would focus more on growing annuums if I were in Canada.

The first pod I tried I thought may have been underripe, so i let the second get soft and still had chemical taste.

I got bit by the superhot bug and was too damn stubborn to give up on growing a butch t up here, next year's crop is definitely going to be annum and pube heavy. Lol That just sounds wrong.

I got some from the hippy guys to grow next year along with the bhuts and Dorsets. Along with the new Reaper, should have a good sample to compare.

i have to agree with the dorset naga as a keeper, just had one and that flora taste everyone describes was there and heat was abundant. i have to try more yellow 7's and yellow scorpions, only had 1 small pod from each plant and both had that habanero taste with the 7 being slightly more flavourable. my bombay morich also had that hab taste, again pods were small.

i have never had a butchT produce before(they have a bad habit of dying off) but i may be in luck this time, i have a large plant in hydro with lots of flowers - now to try and keep flower drop away. also got an original red scorpion to grow and it too is starting to flower. my seeds are from pepperlover, so, if i do get both plants to produce pods, i will be able to make a comparison and keep you posted.

good growing.

Ive only had 1 Butch T and I still don't know much about them. I had to spit it out before the heat hit because of the taste. I probably wont grow any.

Back