• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone ever seen this weird growth?

Some of the branches are even growing downward into itself. It finally got some shoots above this chunk and they are all normal.

5l6mIy0.jpg

Yeah, see that a lot, actually. You are going to get a dozen replies that it's aphids or mites. But it most likely signals a nutrient deficiency. Specifically, a disruption to uptake of either calcium or nitrogen. Whatever it was, it happened, and course corrected. But I'd be looking for a root cause. Did you have a PH spike in your setup at any time? If so, why?

Hmmm I dont recall one as Im pretty good about checking the PH daily, but I did have a day where I added fresh water and only quickly spot checked the PH level as I was in a hurry. Its possible it spiked to 7+ thats the only thing I can think of. Good to know what it is for future reference! Plant seems super healthy above that now though!

That's one of the nice things about hydro vs soil... It takes a lot less time to correct a problem. Which is a good trade off for how fast it takes things to go totally to shit! LOL

Back