• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Anyone got a good Jerky recipe?

12 hours seems like a long time in the dehydrator for jerky if you ask me.

I use 50/50 sriracha and soy marinated overnight then into the dehydrator until the texture is right for me. Usually takes 4 or 5 hours.

12 hrs isn't too long in my opinion. If I dehydrate at 165 then I'm technically cooking. Which is ok if I'm making it for my buddy who like rock hard shoe leather.

If I make it for myself I'll go anywhere from 8 hours up to 16 or 18 depending on How impatient I am.

If I do it right then the salt as well as other factors such as the fact that my marinade is a shelf stable hotsauce (the acidity) will contribute to inhibiting bad microbial growth.

A lower temp combined with the type of cut of meat as well as how I slice it all contribute to texture.

Time depends on temp and how thick the cut is. So really it's something you need to figure out yourself. I always liked the thicker cuts that were less like shoe leather.

Also the best cuts are cut on a serious bias against the grain. Why? Because when it dries and you eat it, it pulls apart, it's not "one" hunk. Think of how you would slice a skirt steak off the grill. The finished product will pull apart easily with your hands.

So, what do you want? Totally shelf stable? Or is refrigerator long term ok? Or pemmican like?

I prefer Uber thick and soft, steak like. It is good medium term. But, my stuff rarely lasts longer than a week before it is devoured.

Late to the party but for a base I use 

50/50 Worcestershire/lite Soy sauce
1/4 tsp cure #1 per pound of meat
Glug of honey

Then want ever peppers you like in the quantities you like from black pepper to Carolina Reapers. Do not be afraid to mix and match or use a glug or 2 of you favorite hot sauce as well.  

Marinate for 12 to 48 hours stirring periodically then dehydrate a 160 for 1 hours for a bacteria kill then lower to 120 until dried to your liking. After 8 hours or so start checking as the thinner pieces will be dried and he thicker ones will need to go longer.

For me eye of round is the perfect muscle for jerky. Its inexpensive, lean and one long straight stranded muscle. I take a whole EOR cut in 1/2 lengthwise then further break down into 3/4" slabs then cut those slabs into 1/8" to 1/4" thick slices.  Personally too me jerky is supposed to be tough and chewy so I never cut against the grain or use ground meat. If I want tender beef I'll break out the sous vide. 

Back