• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Anyone grow completely under shade cloth?

I have been hardening off some plants for a few weeks , I'm starting to notice that the pepper plants in partial sun (Direct between around 12pm and 4pm) Are not doing as well as the others in my shade area where they get indirect light during the day. 

White Bullet Hab- That's in Partial Direct sunlight -12pm-4pm

DSC_0367_zpszxuoqazr.jpg

White bullet that's in Indirect sunlight both plants are the same age and looked the same before attempting to harden off.

DSC_0363_zpsdlb1o6ou.jpg

My young plants are pretty much the same.  I tried 'pushing' them into as much sun as possible, but it just seemed to stunt the leaf and stem growth.  Two weeks ago, I gave up and moved them directly beneath a big tree and they are now growing much better.  (Doh!)

They now get about 2 hours of direct sun in the morning, and another 2 in the late afternoon.

My overwintered plants are doing fine in full sun, but I'll move them to the shade in a few weeks, since no pepper on Earth can withstand the full sun and 100+ temperatures we get here in Sunny Aridzona.

Im growing a white habanero and chocolate habaneros hydroponically and despite being submerged in water they were doing the exact same thing. At about noon they start to wilt almost as if they are dehydrated. I have them under my porch in the shade now and they are perky and happy.

This is a pic when they were in full sun. The white habanero is on the left. You can tell it was not happy. It is hard to tell in the pic but the other two larger plants were also wilting a bit when you see them from up close.

Moved them just out of direct sunlight and this is where they stay. The plant hanging is tomato. It stays in full sun.

Yeah mid-day sun can be brutal, especially when using black containers. If you gotta keep them in full sun, try wrapping burlap around the pots to deflect the heat to the roots. If the soil gets too hot the plant won't pull any moisture and it will dehydrate itself even if the soil is wet.

its just what happens to some peppers in 90+ weather with full sun. 

annums are particularly vulnerable in my experience. i had several annums that basically stunt completely...  pretty bad wilting, growth became distorted all flowers failed. i just cut them down because they got to be farily ugly plants.  these were greenhouse bells.
annums like the hatch type chilies...big jims etc do ok vegatativly, but the production comes to a screeching hault in the hot houston summer.

chins, though not all chins, seem to hate the heat too... partial wilting and fairly sever stunting and pretty much total loss of all flowers. chins do seem to put up with it though... they will continue to grow out vegatativly, so if you can deal with the months of non productivity, in the cooler fall months you will have a larger plant... hopefully with a larger root system ready to pump out pods for a few months.

not all chins though... the most productive chin i ever grew was the congo red. It was like i was growing a giant cloud of pods with some leaves and twigs thrown in here and there...
its production slows and the pods become misshapen in the heat... it even wilts partially... HOWEVER, it keeps pumping pods out.
why?
no clue. we can only guess that some chins are better at setting fuits in the heat than others. id love to hear from a plant scientist on this issue...

frutenses seemed to me to do the best in full blast sun... bacts seem to do well too.
my tobasco plants seemed to care very little about the heat. the growth of the plant it self slowed down noticeably though, just not the pod production. 

all just experience though. 

ill tell you though, when i first put up my shade cloth, it was like a night and day difference. its worth your money and time and effort i assure you... if you can pull it off i encourage you to do so.

Back