• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anyone growing naranjilla (Solanum quitoense)?

220px-Lulo.jpg

Another edible nightshade, naranjilla means little orange in Spanish, their juice supposedly makes a nice drink. Apparently they are very susceptible to root-knot nematodes and are difficult to fruit in temperate climates, but they look really cool so I'm trying anyway. A poster on gardenweb was able to fruit theirs in Indiana though. The leaves are large, really fuzzy and purple tinted with thorns on both the leaves and stem. I've read that the cultivated varieties usually don't have thorns so maybe I have a wild one (which means it's probably more disease resistant at least).

382px-Naranjilla_new_leaf.jpg

My phone isn't working right now but I'll try to get a picture up soon. I'll have to overwinter it this year and hopefully the next year I'll get some fruit.

looks like a fruit my sister thought I might want for my collection. it tasted like a lousy tomato and had the texture of shoe leather, so I decided to pass.

I grew the plant last year. I regret not overwintering it. I have a coworker who is going to give me a cutting. No sizeable fruit the first year. Did not get to taste. Loved the plant though. Good luck

Mike
June26th2011012.jpg

June10th2011019.jpg

July6th2011022.jpg

Back