• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anyone growing Plumeria?

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone here are growing plumerias? the search came up pretty empty. I'm looking to live up my houseplants with some unique varieties besides the typical.

I brought back some cuttings from my trip last year and had my dad planted them but unfortunately he did not keep an eye on them or maintain them and they're gone. Looking back, I wish I had done them myself!

Thanks!

i am growing a plumeria, minie came from a mother plant that my step-mom brought back from tahiti back in the 70's the mother plant is now 3 separate trees in there yard! they are pretty when they have leaves and flowers but otherwise they look like sticks! they need very good draining soil and not much water during the winter months(they go dormant)

Thanks man, that's what i heard too. I had a bunch of cuttings I brought back and now regret not planting them myself. They're very pretty when in bloom and my house is in need of some color and texture. I wish I had weather like San Diego where I can grow them outside. do you know of any reputable dealers for cuttings?

-Alex

I have bought cuttings back from Hawaii, Florida, California and Las Vegas!
Not one has ever grown.
They are a lovely tree and I would love to grow them, but I am now convinced that you are just wasting money if you go to a tourist gift shop.
I also need to find a good nursery and buy some nice fresh cuttings.

I've read that you have to dry the cuttings out and let them scab over for a bit. When you're ready to plant them, dip them in rooting hormone and keep them cutting moist but not wet. I'm still looking for a reputable place that sells them.

Actually. The clipping need ti be dried first! Then put in loose soil and takes very litte water

I didn't mean like 5 minutes old! I meant less than maybe 5 years old, because you never know how long they have been on display.
They just look like sticks to me, and to be honest, as far as most of us are concerned, they could be anything.

here is a pic of mine that I brought back from maui in august. I got it at the airport gift shop and planted it when I got back. It wasnt doing very good outside in a pot so I brought it in and dipped it in mx clone gelput it in my closet grow area and it started to grow leaves and it is starting to flower. I think next week I will be planting it back outside
and this company sells them I get my lillies and gladiolas from them. http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/default.aspx
392458_3619188312908_1069905894_33173828_2120294525_n.jpg

535887_3619190032951_1069905894_33173831_861485997_n.jpg

I have about 15 plumeria that I started from seed, still in cups and rather neglected due to my peppers but still trucking along. They don't require much care, but I still need to pot up to at least 1ga pots. I bought my seeds from https://bradsbudsandblooms.com/, although I know everyone starts these from cuttings. There is just something I love about starting from seed, and even though I know they may not flower for years I still had to give it a shot! :) They have a really good seed "clearance" section, which is what really made me want to start from seed! lol

Hey Melissa,

Thanks for the info! I was looking at that site too and trying to figure out if I'm patient enough to do seeds or buy some cuttings. Dilemmas!!! I have more fun nowadays going to the nursery instead of the bar!

Hey Melissa,

Thanks for the info! I was looking at that site too and trying to figure out if I'm patient enough to do seeds or buy some cuttings. Dilemmas!!! I have more fun nowadays going to the nursery instead of the bar!

No problem! :) I would do both if I were you, the clearance seeds are so cheap and they are super easy to grow from seed. They look like little feathers, you soak the seed and then it plumps up, stick that part in the dirt with the rest of the "feather" sticking out. It was pretty cool to watch them germinate. Good luck.

Melissa, that is a great site. Thanks for sharing it!

No problem LanMan, glad you like it. I stumbled upon it last year and was really impressed with their selection.

I grow them, and a friend of mine grow them and she sells them to the local nursery. I am at work and kind of browsed over this thread and wil try to read better when i get home. I have about 6 new plants going, and about 10 seedlings. I have cut and planted and can help out with any thing you need. in fact, during the summer when mine start to grow i can get cuttings for you if you like.

i have 6 variestes that are going to be my future mother plants (I want to sell them one day).

Also, grown from seeds the can take up to three years to flower.

Here is my siam Ruby that bloomed a few weeks back,

6797456894_f15769ce6a_b.jpg

That is one sweet bloom! That's what I'm talking about right there! Would love to get some cuttings if you have any!

Thanks!

That is one sweet bloom! That's what I'm talking about right there! Would love to get some cuttings if you have any!

Thanks!

Fire, i am in fla and they finally started comming out dormancy about month ago, I had to start fresh as my in the ground ones died 2 years ago in a bad florida freeze. We hit freezing tempetuares for 3-4 days a few times wich is rare. So once the hit freezing temps they die and it sucks as they get expensive to replace. But i got a collection, and dont recall all the names off the top of my head.

Wen i get home i will find out which one i have, and when they start growing good (few were jus rooted in decembe, and the one in the picture was graphed) i hope to be able to give you some cuttings. i can check the local farmers market as there was a lady selling a bunch there a few weeks back. But when i can get some good 10-12" cuts made, i will let you know. I will check with a friend and see if she will give me one (most likely no, even though i give her lots of peppers and few plants myself).

Josh, appreciate the effort but I don't want you to go out of your way. Just let me know what we can work out. I'm trying to get some more colors in the house and plumerias are absolutely stunning!

Josh, appreciate the effort but I don't want you to go out of your way. Just let me know what we can work out. I'm trying to get some more colors in the house and plumerias are absolutely stunning!

if you hit me up in august/sept my plants should be big enought to take cuttings. I got seeds laying around i can send if you like. just pm me your address and i will see what i can do.

you do releaize they will not sruvice when it gets below 45 degrees give or take. So you will need to leave in a pot and bring indoors during your winter months up there.

Back