• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

anyone have any hissssss Snakes? eeeek

HotPeppas

Banned
Anyone have any of these monsters in their garden!!!

My balls dissapear when i come across a snake even if its just a garter

We've got to be careful watching for Rattlesnakes as they like to hide under the Pumpkin vine leaves during the heat of the day - Haven't seen any so far this year but last year had to kill 3 about 4-6 footers out on our 5 acres outside the city and had 2 dogs bit by a couple other smaller ones that they killed, fortunately the snakes had already fed on a couple mice so the dogs only got a partial dose of venom and just had some pretty bad swelling for a couple days but recovered.

Had the pleasure of a 4 foot king snake roaming the yard last year. Hope (she) had babies.
Had a few decent size garters.
Between the king, the garters, a pair of hawks and me.... we kept the rodents at bay (barely). There is a card game analogy there somewhere.

Only snake thus far this year was a baby copperhead. I tried to encourage him to move along with a stick, and then he decided to strike at it.
Snake, meet heavy rock.

No good with a little one around.

Last time I saw a snake it was swallowing a bat that had apparently fallen asleep on one of my tomato plants. What a thing to wake up to if you're a bat.

My balls dissapear when i come across a snake

That will be the cold that does that to your balls, shrinkage they call it her in Australia, nothing to be ashamed of.

Here`s my pet snake (wild) just 30ft from pepper city.

This is pretty harmless, we do have King Browns here & Tigers, and here is me playing with Sea Snakes,
thought they was harmless but turns out there venom is 14 times more toxic than any land snake (and we have the worst).

Broome17.jpg

Broome18.jpg

snake.jpg

When i showed these pics some months later this Aussie bloke said "Geez mate your brave" i said whys that then?? he said didn't you know what kind of snake you was holding in your hand (dumb tourist) no i said is is poisonous then?

Haaa, i laugh now years later, but one bite of that bastard & i would be dead.

Mezo.

I had a garter show up in my greenhouse yesterday. Very healthy looking, I think it may have eaten the resident frog.

I have been finding plenty of sheddings but havent seen many snakes. I think they are living in the straw around my potatoes. Glad to have them, we really only have garters and the occasional rat snake.

Have only seen a couple of black racers and ring-necks in our yard, and none lately :(

I would love to get a couple king snakes or rat snakes so the damned mice/rats would leave my peppers alone!

You should be able to find some baby scarlet kings online. Mellow, easy to see and rat catching experts.I had one at my fish farm for a few years that would come out of an avocado tree to see me. I fed him the occasional small goldfish and within weeks of first spotting him I could handle him with no problem. Scared hell out of my old lady tho.After he showed up I had zero problems with mice getting into the fish feed.
Most everything here is insane-venomous and/or unable to tame other than the boas.

C'mon down and help me pick !

It's called " Adventure Tourism"

See this is where my philosophy about snakes stems from... I believe there are good snakes, and living snakes. If in doubt cut off its head first, identify it later. If its red, kill it dead. Too many kids here, and in the neighborhood to mess around with them. I don't want to mis ID one, and have a kid shake hands with snake venom.

Also water snakes terrify me. I'm an avid diver. I don't get out of the water for sharks (Generally, though there are a few types I will). If I see a snake, its time to move.

if you get bit, you'll die before you get treatment.

even if they've eaten.

i educate the locals on my block about snakes... i always hear of someone smashing a poor harmless snake with a shovel or a rock... the only dangerous snake we get are western diamondbacks... that's a huge difference from common king snakes, bullsnakes, garder snakes, gopher snakes, and other native bush dwelling herps we get in our area...

snakes rock... i laugh at those that fear them... but i am terrified of spiders... cucui...

Back