• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anyone have any ideas on whats causing this?

Hi all. In the last couple of weeks many of my seedlings are developing issues. The new growth on the plants are yellowing and leaves are starting to curl. Ive been giving them a diluted 10-10-10 fertilizer every so often and epsom salt spray once in a while. It looks to me like some sort of deficiency...perhaps iron or calcium. Was just wondering if anyone else had this same issue and how you resolved it or tell me what you think.
Thanks for you help.

Yann

5687483582_aa9afe8976.jpg

5687483590_10cbe93f26.jpg

No sir but i can always run out and get one of those kits they sell to test it. Im using pro mix BX for the medium and thought it was supposed to somewhat PH balanced? Unless its the water. I do have a water softner?

Hmmm, it should not be an issue wit ProMix. Are they outside fulltime? Maybe try flushing them really well and lay off the ferts till they look better. Someone else will chime in with other ideas.

Your water softener adds salt to affect its pH. That might have something to do with it, not a pH issue, but a salt accumulation issue. Interesting.

Thanks Mill.
Could be a salt issue and yeah will have to flush them to see if it changes. The plants are indoors. Way too cold here still to get them outside :(

I would grab a couple gallons of water from the grocery store to flush them since we think it might be your tap water causing the issue.

I was going to say pH also...

if I am not mistaken, you can find the pH of your water supply on one of the suppliers sites...seems I found ours there digging around...I know they have all the different minerals/quantities listed...

Fertilome makes a soil acidifier but you need to be careful using it and rinse everything it goes through or else the acid will greatly increase your oxidation...

I would flush it with spring water. Distilled is just plain water and you want a little trace minerals in there for the plants sake since you are trying to get it all out of the potting mix.

I was going to say pH also...

if I am not mistaken, you can find the pH of your water supply on one of the suppliers sites...seems I found ours there digging around...I know they have all the different minerals/quantities listed...

Fertilome makes a soil acidifier but you need to be careful using it and rinse everything it goes through or else the acid will greatly increase your oxidation...

Thanks AJ

I will definatly try to find out some info on our ph levels here. Funny never had a problem in the past?

I would flush it with spring water. Distilled is just plain water and you want a little trace minerals in there for the plants sake since you are trying to get it all out of the potting mix.

Agreed! springwater it is

I know you said you're using 10-10-10, but to offer another possibility, consider nutes. Nitrogen specifically. Take a look at this LINK and scroll down to Nitrogen deficiency and give it a read. Might have some merit - dunno.

Good luck; hope you can figure it out.

I know you said you're using 10-10-10, but to offer another possibility, consider nutes. Nitrogen specifically. Take a look at this LINK and scroll down to Nitrogen deficiency and give it a read. Might have some merit - dunno.

Good luck; hope you can figure it out.

Thanks DR

I was thinking that too at one point so i increased the nitrogen and the problem persisted. then i was thinking another deficiency like calcium or iron possibly because the water softner does remove some minerals from the water.

and I'll tell you another thing they need...more light...put them outside....large leaves are normal for young plants but as they get more light, the leaves become smaller...I would start hardening them off now...JMO

Thanks AJ. Cant harden off yet i'm afraid still too chilly. few more weeks till plant out.

sorry mh...I sometimes forget to look at where the members are...just tell mother nature to hurry her butt up...

Back