• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Anyone Have Experience With NFS Hydroponics?

I was thinking of building or buying a NFS hydro system. I was wondering if anyone has one or has experience with one.I am going to be growing mainly peppers and tomatoes. I was thinking of putting it outside, would that be okay? Is it efficient, good capacity, growth, and low energy cost. Do other systems that work better? Any and all answers are appreciated!

NFS stands for Nutrient Film Solution, 
nft.gif

I would use a pipe but the principle is the same

I've seen people do it but if you don't use pretty big pipe the roots start to clog it up. But I honestly don't know a lot about it. Just read threads about it and such.

Yes, it works.
I used a 4 inch pipe last year mixing a hab in amongst my strawberrys.
It grew and produced a few pods but not as many as I'd hoped for.
Roots clogging the channel was an issue and I'm not sure what could be done about that.
I find that a drip system works better for my chilli's, NFT works well with strawberrys though.

Drip system gets my vote.

Myself and another member on this site use old 20L plastic detergent bottles from work and fill them with expanded clay beads. Then run a fountain pump from a reservoir to drip emitters that run for 15mins of every hour, which flows through a return back to the reservoir. This works brilliant for chillis and all other veg too. Seems to give better results than DWC.

Pinhigh said:
Drip system gets my vote.

Myself and another member on this site use old 20L plastic detergent bottles from work and fill them with expanded clay beads. Then run a fountain pump from a reservoir to drip emitters that run for 15mins of every hour, which flows through a return back to the reservoir. This works brilliant for chillis and all other veg too. Seems to give better results than DWC.

+1 This is essentially Ebb / Flow (often called flood / drain).  I made this system for the first time this year and it was really easy and works well.

Back