• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone have these seeds or know anything about them?

So i was offered some seeds from a guy in japan. I dont know much about them but he says there hot.

here is a link with the first type he is sending me.(I dont know japanese so sorry)

first one

then he said he will send me this type of pepper. its called the Okinawa pepper. as far as i know anyway.

okinawa pepper here

They look like some interesting peppers, and I am curious if anyone else has grown them.

So i was offered some seeds from a guy in japan. I dont know much about them but he says there hot.

here is a link with the first type he is sending me.(I dont know japanese so sorry)

first one

then he said he will send me this type of pepper. its called the Okinawa pepper. as far as i know anyway.

okinawa pepper here

They look like some interesting peppers, and I am curious if anyone else has grown them.

the first one looks a lot like a ring of fire / thai-ish cayenne, now the second one looks like something of potential interest.

Thanks everyone.

I will be getting a few peppers for seeds so maybe I can throw a few seeds at someone else to try growing them too. They look and sound promising.

Well, I got the seeds a while back. The packages are in japanese...and when I translated them it literally only says "hot pepper" haha. They will be grown next season. just figured I would update.

I know exactly what that second pepper is! It's called a "shima togarashi" or island pepper, most commonly used in a popular hot condiment called "koregusu". It's made by steeping the peppers in "awamori", a local liquor made from distilled Thai jasmine rice. It's totally unique to Okinawa. And delicious.

Here's the interesting part: "Koregusu" refers to Korea. Okinawa was a trading hub between Japan and the rest of Asia, including Thailand and Korea. But those peppers are clearly related to Thai bird's eye chilis and they're mixed with other Thai ingredients to make koregusu. So where does the Korean name come from?? No idea, but it is so good as a topping for Japanese noodle soups!

Anyway, the reason why I found this post is because I've been desperately trying to find shima togarashi seeds and haven't found any place that sells them or even heard if them. I spent a lot of time on Okinawa in my last job, and it'd be great to have a little piece of the island in my backyard. Would you be willing to share some seeds or direct me to your source? Feel free to email me to discuss. I hope your 2011 crop turned out well!

the first sites information just gives this when translated

nWcu3.png

Back