Anyone heard of Jean-Patrique?

Thats what I thought, but I thought I would ask. I bought a veg knife for a Euro when I was in France, and it was fantastic.
So cheap isn't always crap so to speak, but it usually is.

Same here. The best chopping knife I ever bought was a Made in China special that came in a package of three. Bought them in Eastern Europe for the equivalent of $1.75. Still have one of them to this day.

Hmmm about $8 U.S.? That's so cheap, you could use them until they get dull, then use them as throwing knives.
IMO, a decent but good quality Santoku starts at about $85 U.S. each, and not really any need to spend more than $150.
Unless you're a professional or a collector, that is a good range to be very confident with the quality.

But for $8? Try it!
Not a huge loss if it's a huge fail of a knife, and it looks like you get three!

Let us know if you get them.

Actually, you can get a "decent but good" Santuko knife here in the US for about $29. I have a couple KitchenAid Santuko's, and they're perfectly fine for most jobs.

That said, my bigger question, Lawrence, is whether you trust the source. You said you received that offer via email - from whom? I don't need an answer on that, but just pointing out that a lot of scams come via email. Over and above responses here, see if you can locate the website externally - NOT by clicking the link provided to you. Also, do a general web search and see if you can find reviews of them on a different site (other than their own.)

Actually, you can get a "decent but good" Santuko knife here in the US for about $29. I have a couple KitchenAid Santuko's, and they're perfectly fine for most jobs.

That said, my bigger question, Lawrence, is whether you trust the source. You said you received that offer via email - from whom? I don't need an answer on that, but just pointing out that a lot of scams come via email. Over and above responses here, see if you can locate the website externally - NOT by clicking the link provided to you. Also, do a general web search and see if you can find reviews of them on a different site (other than their own.)

I know the company is real, I get parcels to deliver for them from time to time (I am a Postie), but I have never got a chance to ask about the quality of their stuff.
I think I shall do a search for reviews. That said, it is not a lot of money, don't forget the £10 postage though!!!
So if I don't find anything too bad I might risk it.

Update.
I did some checks and it does seem they are OK, delivery is very slow because they try to sell you expidated shipping +£7, the perspex knife block is £18 if you want it, and they offer you several other full price items on the way to the checkout.
I decided to go for the black set, I will let you know what they are like when I get them.

ok, been lurking here every once in a while. haven't posted anything since i pretty much let my garden beds rest for a couple years before i get back to growing anything that's nightshade related. i just had to reply about knives.

back to getting a good knife....

i've been getting really into knives lately and i've realized like most people in my industry.... we all get japanese knives.

want a good knife? get a japanese knife.

best places to get a knife is from chefsknivestogo or japanesechefsknives

my suggestion for the cheapest and least amount of maintenance would be a tojiro DP chef's knife, i'd get the 240mm length for the smallest size i would go for, but the 270-300mm would be the best.

shuns, wusthofs, macs aren't my sort of thing. if i was gonna get anything that's not asian (i don't consider shun as an asian knife), i'd get a sabatier. they're cheap, and they're better than any german steel i've ever tried.

ok, been lurking here every once in a while. haven't posted anything since i pretty much let my garden beds rest for a couple years before i get back to growing anything that's nightshade related. i just had to reply about knives.

back to getting a good knife....

i've been getting really into knives lately and i've realized like most people in my industry.... we all get japanese knives.

want a good knife? get a japanese knife.

best places to get a knife is from chefsknivestogo or japanesechefsknives

my suggestion for the cheapest and least amount of maintenance would be a tojiro DP chef's knife, i'd get the 240mm length for the smallest size i would go for, but the 270-300mm would be the best.

shuns, wusthofs, macs aren't my sort of thing. if i was gonna get anything that's not asian (i don't consider shun as an asian knife), i'd get a sabatier. they're cheap, and they're better than any german steel i've ever tried.

HEY Franz pm wanna know how our babies are doing i cant pm you you box must be full

thanks your friend Joe

I can't believe it, my knives arrived today!

I am surprised at the quality of them, well worth several times the money, comfortable to use and the steel is thicker than I expected.
The non stick coating looks nice and works well, I cut some cheese earlier and it just fell off the knife.
I think they are more European in style than Japanese, but all in all a great buy.
They sent me a catalogue with the knives, and I have already spent a fortune in my head already.

They have a website www.jean-patrique.co.uk for those who wondered. but I think they only supply to the UK.

hey joe, i've since stopped growing peppers for a while. i still have a couple pepper plants but they're not producing a lot, if at all. i'm resting my garden beds from any sort of nightshade plant to start getting ready for another season of peppers in a year or two. doing crop rotation and all that.

Back